• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream Filling (kashta)

FoodMan

Cream Filling (kashta)

Kashta is one of two basic dessert fillings used in many Middle Eastern desserts, the other being a nut filling. It is normally made from the cream that floats on top of whole cream milk when simmered. I have never managed to make the real Kashta. In Lebanon one would buy already made Kashta from pastry shops or buy the canned clotted cream variety (which I am not too crazy about). This recipe gives excellent and tasty results every time and is the best substitute for the real thing.

• 2 c Heavy Cream
  • 4 T Corn Starch
  • 1 tsp Rosewater
  • 2 tsp Orange Blossom Water

In a sauce pan whisk the corn starch and 1/2 cup of the cream to make a smooth slurry. Add the rest of the cream and keep on whisking to combine. Bring the cream mixture to a gentle simmer whisking constantly to avoid clumps until it gets nice and thick, like a loose pudding. Add the rosewater and orange blossom water. Let cool before using.

Keywords: Dessert, Lebanese, Middle Eastern, eGCI

( RG719 )

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog