• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mole, any favorites?

gknl

I made a trip to KMart tonight.  They had more California and New Mexico chiles than any other kind.

Better than the "K" and almost as fun: Casa Lucas Market 2934 24th Street in the Mission. They have great chilis and Mexican ingredients. :cool:

I made a trip to KMart tonight.  They had more California and New Mexico chiles than any other kind.

Better than the "K" and almost as fun: Casa Lucas Market 2934 24th Street in the Mission. They have great chilis and Mexican ingredients. :cool:

Yeah, that is an amazing market, but are they open until 2 am? Plus the extra hour travel time and the $2 cover charge to enter SF from the east. . . . Kmart is unaesthetic, but convenient.

Besides, it's impossible to park in the Mission between all the damn suv yuppie-mobiles and all the tourists from Marin looking for cool-cred. :raz:

I made a trip to KMart tonight.  They had more California and New Mexico chiles than any other kind.

Yeah, that is an amazing market, but are they open until 2 am? Plus the extra hour travel time and the $2 cover charge to enter SF from the east. . . . Kmart is unaesthetic, but convenient.

Besides, it's impossible to park in the Mission between all the damn suv yuppie-mobiles and all the tourists from Marin looking for cool-cred. :raz:

Take Bart; and last time I checked there were a truckload of East Bayers shopping for MARTHA STEWART EVERYDAY bargains at KMart. :cool:

Well, I thought I should get a Kennedy book since I already have a Bayliss. Couldn't decide between Essential Cuisines and My Mexico, so I ordered both. I should get them in 10 days or so.

EGullet is bankrupting me, but at least I'll die better fed and happy! :biggrin:

Both excellent choices, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

'The Essential Cuisines..' will provide you recipes for just about any dish you could want and is an excellent resource. My only misgivings was the newer layout, there is something about the whole graphic presentation that I just don't care for - certainly not distracting, though.

As a previously mentioned 'My Mexico' has somewhat of a a travelogue-lean to it, w/ reminisces of dishes of particular interest that she has run into, and is broken down by geographical region. This makes it more interesting than just a cookbook if you are interested in learning some of the culture.

There is one particular recipe in this book that is one of my faves that I would encourage you to check out called, I believe, Chuletas de Puerco en Agridulce (pork chops in a sweet and sour sauce). It's rather easy to make and consists of pork chops in a sauce made from orange juice, pineapple, onion, canela and plenty of guajillos. Makes a very nice satisfying meal w/ a pile of beans or one of the potato dishes (I think there's a very good Papas con Poblano in 'My Mexico' if I recall correctly) out of either book and pleeenty of corn tortillas.

Let me know what you think of the books.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.