• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jersey City dining

devlin

I'm looking for a place to meet family the night we get into Jersey City. Something nice, not too upscale, but not too casual. Some place we can linger. Ideally a restaurant with a bar. We're staying at the Westin on the Hudson, and my family's coming over from Brooklyn to meet us at around 8:30 or so. Any and all suggestions very welcome. The type of food isn't important (we all like nearly anything so long as it's well-prepared).

Lighthorse Tavern is a solid choice in the "New American Bistro" mold. Beautiful space, charming up-and-coming neighborhood, very good food, and better-than-average beer/wine/cocktail options. Quick ride from your hotel via Light RailLight Rail.

OX would've been a good option too, but it closed recently, sadly enough.

Christopher

Lighthorse Tavern is a solid choice in the "New American Bistro" mold.  Beautiful space, charming up-and-coming neighborhood, very good food, and better-than-average beer/wine/cocktail options.  Quick ride from your hotel via Light RailLight Rail.

OX would've been a good option too, but it closed recently, sadly enough.

Christopher

That looks perfect. Thank you so much.

I haven't been there since last year, but if it's a pleasant evening, it's fun to sit by the big french doors at Marco and Pepe. It's a smallish sort of restaurant and I've been there when the bartending wasn't great, but you can move next door to the Merchant for drinks before or after dining.

http://www.marcoandpepe.com/GenInfoPage.html