• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's official -- NJ is a strange place...

jhlurie

Hast thou never heardest of yon publication "Weird New Jersey"?

Side note: Hadn't been to the site in a while and I notice they now have a little Flash intro with a theme song (of sorts). However, the pronunciation of Jersey in the song sounds more like "Jerzay" than "Jerzee". Any ideas where that pronunciation comes from? Also... who the HELL says "Joisey"?!? Has anyone ever heard someone from Jersey actually use that pronunciation? To make this food-related, I like to discuss these topics while dining at Wondee's in Hackensack.

Hast thou never heardest of yon publication "Weird New Jersey"?

Side note: Hadn't been to the site in a while and I notice they now have a little Flash intro with a theme song (of sorts).  However, the pronunciation of Jersey in the song sounds more like "Jerzay" than "Jerzee".  Any ideas where that pronunciation comes from?  Also... who the HELL says "Joisey"?!?  Has anyone ever heard someone from Jersey actually use that pronunciation?  To make this food-related, I like to discuss these topics while dining at Wondee's in Hackensack.

My father pronounced it that way. But then again, we're from Brooklyn.

Noick

Even odder, on that list of "Strange NJ Food Places", I've been to SIX of them. Sheesh! So maybe I didn't need the website (although the ones I haven't been to actually seem more interesting than the ones I have).

And that theme song on the other site? Is weird.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've never heard any of my friends from Brooklyn say it that way.  They're all from Bensonhurst and Sheep's Head Bay.  Maybe it's an ultra-regional thing?

It's a generational thing. Before the age of TV and even radio. My great uncles and uncles pronounced it that way. My dad would say "Terlet" for toilet and "earl" for oil.

Nick

My father pronounced it that way.  But then again, we're from Brooklyn.

Noick

i was just about to suggest that the "jersey" accent that you hear/hear about in the media and whatnot more closely resembles that of people who live in staten island, long island, brooklyn and queens.

on a related note, my brother in law is from queens. i'm, however, from straight parents.

It's a generational thing.  Before the age of TV and even radio.  My great uncles and uncles pronounced it that way.  My dad would say "Terlet" for toilet and "earl" for oil.

Nick

You're probably right. Homogenized television across the states has probably cut down on quite a bit of regional dialects. Quite a bit of them still persist though.

People from Hawthorne, NJ generally pronounce their town's name as "HawRthorne", despite all my efforts to persuade them otherwise. :biggrin: