• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bad nuts? :P

chocoera

so, i know i talked about this idea at the chocolate conference, (not like its a brand spankin' new thought, i'm sure others have done it) but i love raspberries and pistachios and think they'd be awesome in a white chocolate bark. question is, for the raspberries, i assume the best route are the freeze dried ones, and sprinkle on top? or would that be best mixed into the chocolate? but the big question is the nuts. i always caramelize nuts if used in bark, because, well, why wouldn't you?!! :0) but if i wanted those on top, how long would it be till they go bad? wouldn't the sugared/caramel coating or something "protect" the nut? or are they something that would have to be mixed into the chocolate?

thoughts on this?

thanks again!

it entirely depends on how thoroughly you coat the nuts with the sugar. A sugar glass in this application is notoriously 'permeable' (ie, it doesn't provide a great oxygen barrier - lots of cracks), so while it's better than a kick to the head, it's not going to give your nuts eternal life. How the nuts are treated before they get to you, and how old they are by the time you get them, are also incredibly important, and something most people don't consider. Many times, the nuts are past their prime by the time they work their way through the commercial supply chain.

In terms of providing the best oxaditive stability for your nuts, a touch of a commercial antioxidant will provide the best protection (think TBHQ). However, many have an aversion to this route. If going all natural's the way for you, you might get some shelf life extension via using a natural antioxidant such as vitamin e or mixed tocopherols.

I'm thinking you could do the nuts 'varnished' so they wouldn't get stale quickly. For 1 kg of nuts, you take 50 grams of gum arabic dissolved in 100 grams of warm water. Heat the nuts up to 90º C, mix with the gum arabic solution in 6 applications. Spread out on a baking sheet and dry at 40º C for about 5 hours.

I'm thinking you could do the nuts 'varnished' so they wouldn't get stale quickly.  For 1 kg of nuts, you take 50 grams of gum arabic dissolved in 100 grams of warm water.  Heat the nuts up to 90º C, mix with the gum arabic solution in 6 applications.  Spread out on a baking sheet and dry at 40º C for about 5 hours.

would that just be shine? or impart a taste too? i'll give it a try though!

thanks to both of you :)

I'm thinking you could do the nuts 'varnished' so they wouldn't get stale quickly.  For 1 kg of nuts, you take 50 grams of gum arabic dissolved in 100 grams of warm water.  Heat the nuts up to 90º C, mix with the gum arabic solution in 6 applications.  Spread out on a baking sheet and dry at 40º C for about 5 hours.

would that just be shine? or impart a taste too? i'll give it a try though!

thanks to both of you :)

Shine - no significant taste.