• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatball Sandwiches

Every once in a while I get a craving for a meatball sandwich. I have tried a few in Philadelphia. They have been ok, but not great. Usually the meatballs are too big and there is not enough sauce/gravy. My favorite is probably Sarcone's Deli, with Chickie's coming in second. But both are too meatbally and dry for my taste.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Every once in a while I get a craving for a meatball sandwich.  I have tried a few in Philadelphia.  They have been ok, but not great.  Usually the meatballs are too big and there is not enough sauce/gravy.  My favorite is probably Sarcone's Deli, with Chickie's coming in second.  But both are too meatbally and dry for my taste.

Holly, there was a thread about this a while back...

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Hmmm. And someone logged on as me said that Sarcone's does a great sandwich. Maybe I've become grumpier over the past two years, but theirs just doesn't have enough moisture. It needs wetter meatballs and more gravy.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

That was easy.

Based on the other meatball sandwich thread I headed to Shank's and Evelyn's. They were closed. I wondered if one of my favorite sausage sandwich place, George's Sandwiches on 9th, just south of Christian might do a meatball sandwich. They do... and it was fabulous!

Really good. Normal sized meatballs and plenty of a great gravy. Had mine with aged provolone. Really, really good.

Note, there are two George's Sandwiches on 9th in the Italian Market. This is the one on the west side, next to Lorenzo's Pizze, just a couple of doors south of Christian.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter