• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking With Raspberry Jam

nyc

I was likely distracted in pastry class when baking with raspberry jam was discussed.

Can anyone explain the difference between "regular" and baking jam and the practical reasons why we make the distinction?

I'm working on a raspberry bar and I don't want the critical commentary to include raspberries (if you know what I mean).

Thanks.

NYC

I've never heard the term "baking jam" (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, of course!) but my assumption is that it would be seedless raspberry jam that may have been reduced to a thicker consistency for better holding its shape for the purpose of filling pastries and cookies.

Steve will be able to confirm or negate!!!!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

• 2 years later...

(Clears throat)

Does anyone have an answer to this yet? Inquiring minds would like to know.

"Can anyone explain the difference between "regular" and baking jam and the practical reasons why we make the distinction?"

What do they do to the jam to make it bakeproof and can one make "artisanal" bakeproof jam?

Edited by artisanbaker (log)

A Danish company, Orana, has a product called "baking jam". There is no actual description of it but from what I gather, it sounds like it is what they use in, surprise surprise, Danish Pastries! They call it "Fruit Preparation - Compound for Bakery Products". Pretty traditional fruits used: apple, apricot, prune, raspberry, strawberry and less traditional, kiwi and kiwi/gooseberry. The raspberry and strawberry available with or without seeds.

Orana A/S

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

We've got a bucket of baking jam in dry storage that I have yet to see opened. I have no idea what the difference is, but the idea of it having added thickeners sounds about right (think apricoture-like texture). I've always used plain ol' jamjam when baking and when seedless is needed just run it through a tamis.

Devin

The main difference is the baking jam is made with a type of pectin that does not re-melt when heated, so in the oven it will retain it's shape and not ooze out of a filling, unlike traditional jams and jellies meant for spreading on toast that will melt to a liquid when reheated.

thank you nightscotsman- you explained it better than i was going to

i just wanted to add that we always used a baking jam- for those very reasons- so it would hold its shape and not ooze- especially in some of our products that were baked twice- you needed something that could stand up to the heat - regular jam would seem to dissipate into the dough-which would then change the structure of that part of dough-

we used a very high quality product that had excellent flavor- so you dont have to sacrifice taste- we also chose to leave in the seeds- the raspberry came either with or without "pips"

The main difference is the baking jam is made with a type of pectin that does not re-melt when heated, so in the oven it will retain it's shape and not ooze out of a filling, unlike traditional jams and jellies meant for spreading on toast that will melt to a liquid when reheated.

Personally, I like Matisse brand best, but use Hero because it is easier to get and it's pretty good. I prefer the w/o pips (seeds) because I also use this for skimcoating my chocolate cake layers for my raspberry truffle cakes. Works great for linzertortes.

Personally, I like Matisse brand best, but use Hero because it is easier to get and it's pretty good. I prefer the w/o pips (seeds) because I also use this for skimcoating my chocolate cake layers for my raspberry truffle cakes.  Works great for linzertortes.

I've never heard of the Matisse brand before. What about it do you like better- taste, texture.....?

Thanx

The Matisse raspberry seems more intense or "true" to me; Hero is good but sweeter to my taste. The texture, as I remember, is a little softer - Hero is more solid (firmer) right out of the bucket but softens up with a few stirs of a spoon or spatula. I can't always get the Matisse from my distributor, but I think Ambassador Fine Foods has it (AFF doesn't have a local presence here in Boston). In fact, I haven't used Matisse in over a year, that's how long it's been since they had it. Sigh...

Hero is what I've been using, it's better then others I've tried (I'd gotten some tasteless goop along the way). BUT, preserves you get in the grocery store have more intensity. It's a toss up, the grocery store stuff bakes horribly but if you mix it with Hero it's a livable compromise.

still waiting for what the B. uses........

I finally checked to see what we use, and it looks like it's Hero. However, my boss hates to use it for non-baked fillings, so he's gone so far as to have the cake decorators steal from room service bunches of those tiny jars of jam they serve with toast and scones. Imagine having to open and empty out enough of those things to fill several layers of a wedding cake! :wacko: