• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sashimi Technique

genarog

I'm getting a few mail-order blocks of suhi-grade salmon and tuna and I would like to learn the technique to slice it properly.

I don't have specialized knifes so I won't be able to replicate it , but maybe looking at a video I'll end up doing a decent job.

Some sites to check out:

Tsuji,

showing a lot of hira-zukuri technique,
on usu-zukuri, and a site that will give you formal lessons for 10 bucks a month.

Make sure your knife is very sharp! If you're going to make a habit of this, you should have at least a small set of waterstones, and spend as much time practicing with them as you do with your cutting. A long knife (9 to 12 inches) will make life easier, assuming you have room to use it. Sharpness, length, and technique are more important than having a real yanagi.

Notes from the underbelly