• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Submitting a Cookbook to Publishers

Lisa Shock

I have copies of MasterCook 2,3,4, and 5. I have used them off and on, but never really focused energy on entering all of my recipes into it. I mostly just type things in WordPerfect then print them out and keep them in a binder.

I am pretty familiar with entering recipes, formatting the pages, getting the nutritional values, and setting up shopping lists.

What I am not certain about, and cannot seem to find info on is how to lay out pages for submission to a publisher or agent. I don't have a contract or anything, I am just looking to submit cold. I know the general guidelines for submitting fiction and TV scripts to publishers, I used to write for television & my husband is a published fiction author, but I haven't seen details for cookbooks anywhere. I am assuming that it's the usual 1" margins, double-spaced, Times New Roman only. Here are some of my questions:

If I want to submit my photos (printed with my printer on 8½ x 11 paper) with the project do they get inserted in the manuscript in the spots where they would appear in the finished book, or as a group in the back? Do photos get a title sheet in front of them, or can they have a description printed on the same page?

If I want to write my recipes with the ingredients list in both US and metric weights, is it ok to type that out in two columns? (think RLB's Cake Bible)

Do sidebars get typed out in the same format (margins) as everything else? Do I place them after or before the recipe they relate to?

Do any publishers accept digital submissions using any of the cookbook software on the market?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Lisa - One of the best thing to do is get a copy of The Writer's Market if you don't have it. I believe the index will tell you which publishers publish cookbooks -- and it will tell you which ones accept unsolicited submissions. I don't have my copy with me, but I think it also includes what each publisher wants in a submission (some want an intro, index and only 3 recipes, some want other things).

I can't help you with photos -- I didn't take the picture in my book and my publisher arranged for the photographer and food stylist. I do think you can include both metric and Imperial weights -- though you may have to fight to include them. My publisher asked that I include both.

When i submitted my manuscript, I copied all of my recipes from MasterCook (I'm now on Version 8) into Word and then formatted it there. A couple of lines would have looked like this:

Fruit Compote

1 lb. | 454 g mixed dried fruit

1 cup | 250 mL cold water

4 oz | 114 g sugar

I'll flip through the Writer's Market when I get a chance and see if any of the listings say anything about digital submissions.

Thanks!

I have owned copies in the deep dark, distant past and was unsure how useful it would be for a cookbook author. I purchased two used copies of books specifically on cookbook writing and neither addresses how to actually format pages, or the picture questions.

I'm probably going to check out Photographer's Market as well, to see what is expected for submitting images.

I was actually thinking about using your method to do the writing, since MasterCook offers an easy way to organize the info and set up all of the recipes uniformly. Cutting and pasting into a word processor (I am a huge WordPerfect advocate) isn't such a big deal, since I am going to have to write regular text for my chapters as well as things like the introduction, chapter intros and index.

I guess I had been wondering if later versions of MasterCook had any major upgrades over what I had, specifically for professional publishing. I actually preferred MC3 over other versions because it had more flexible layouts for home printers and was simpler to use. I will have to see what runs on my much more modern computer, and go from there. I might have to buy 8 just to get the software to work correctly on XP, no biggie.

My computer was fixed recently and it came back with the memory wiped out -- so I just ordered 9, rather than re-loading 8. There were certain aspects of 8 that I didn't love, so I thought I'd give 9 a shot. For less than $20, if it's no better that's fine, but if it is better it's an inexpensive investment for a program I use a lot.

I was thinking about this some more - I don't think you have to worry about the layout for sidebars. If you just include them on the same page as the recipe under a "Sidebar" heading, they'll get the idea. At the end of the day, the publisher will likely use their own layout. Unless you're looking at self-publishing, the publisher will let you know how they want the manuscript.

I'll try to look through the Writer's Market tonight and see what's in there.

I'd just add that at this point, formatting should be a low priority. Once you get a deal, the publisher will give you a style guide.

I think you need to get an agent. They'll want a few sample recipes but I wouldn't think a whole lot more. They'll want you to sell them the concept and why you're qualified to write this book.

My hunch is a publisher wouldn't want to see a collection of recipes until you've convinced them that you're the bee's knees via a great book proposal and an agent.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thanks for the advice. I was nervous that I'd need everything to be done before approaching an agent.

I'll start working on a description of the book, and introduction and a few sample recipes with commentary and see how it goes.

BTW- I enjoyed your bean book!

OK. I found my copy -- I thought it was newer of Writers Market, but it is the 2006 version. I had one from 2004 and there were a lot of changes from one to the other, so by now this one is probably quite out-dated.

Looking at the index, there are 70 publishers listed under Cookbook Publishers. I would guess that at least a quarter of those probably don't accept unsolicited manuscripts.

There is also a section that lists literary agents, if thats the route you choose. The listings include information on what type of books they represent, their terms, samples of their recent sales and how they like to be contacted.

Getting an agent is a good idea, but it is not your only option. When I was about halfway through my book, I put together a submission bundle, following the guidelines in the W.M. It included my bio, an outline, index, introduction and 3 sample recipes. I sent it out to lots (and lots) of publishers and received lots of rejections and a few offers. If you decide not to go with an agent it is certainly possible to get a publisher on your own using the resources in the book and online.

Thanks for checking, and for all of the suggestions. It's good to see opinions from different experienced sources. Sorry, I didn't read your sig until just now.

I know that I'll face a lot of rejections, that's just part of the process. I'll let you know how things work out! Thanks again!

I didn't mean to suggest that an agent is the only way to go. For me, as someone who isn't a professional writer, having this advocate on my behalf, was invaluable, beyond negotiating the contract. Maybe I have a good agent but she did all the yuck stuff with the publisher that I didn't want to deal with. For me, and it's easy to say because I have one, I wouldn't do it without a literary agent. I just signed for my next book with a different publisher (this one's not a cookbook) and it really brought home how they speak a language I don't understand.

But the old model is pretty creaky and my impression is publishers are taking fewer risks and there are lots of success stories of self-published authors. I think LOTS.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I think you're right. I didn't mean to imply that you were suggesting an agent is the only way to go - sorry.

I do think there's great benefit to having an agent and I have considered it more than once. For my book, I relied on a family member/lawyer for contract issues. And my publisher was great to work with - very little ick involved!

I'm finishing up my second book, and I'm weighing my options now. Having been through it once, I learned a lot and have a better idea of what I'm doing. I'm leaning toward self-publishing this book, but I'm still at the starting point of researching it. There are pros and cons going either way.

• 3 months later...

My friends in food,

I would like to invite you to share your 2 cents on the ingredients it takes to publish own cookbooks, how to think out of the box and what the future directionsof cookbook should be like?

Thanks you kindly,

Cookwithlove

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "