• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate glaze in a cavity w/o filling it up

gfron1

I've been thinking about how to execute that Kit Kat Cake for nearly a year and I think I've got all the kinks worked out with one small exception. A kit kat has a smooth chocolate glaze - matte, not shiney AND it has indented lettering on the top. I could do the lettering with 3-D signage letters which would leave a cavity. But then I have two options...

1. Fix the letters on the bottom of the form and pour a thin layer of chocolate, and once set remove the letters - this option sounds tricky because of cracking and possibly too thick of chocolate; or

2. Fix the letters on the bottom, pipe in mousse or buttercream, freeze, remove the letters and then add a chocolate glaze. I'm leaning toward this option.

The problem is that once I've poured or sprayed a glaze I risk the possibility of the letter cavities filling up with excess glaze. So what do you think? What would be the best technique for coating the entire cake with a matte chocolate finish?

I don't usually get much of a velvet effect if the item I'm spraying isn't frozen or very cold. A light touch with the sprayer on a room-ish temp item and a warm spray that is thinned with more cocoa butter than I use for velvet sprays (I don't usually go anywhere near 50/50 for velvet, more like 70/30) gives me a nice matte finish.

Disclaimer: I haven't sprayed anything without the intent of getting the velvet effect in quite a while so I can't really remember exactly how smooth the result is but it's definitely not the fuzzy velvet thing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.