• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The wonderful world of late-night TV cookware ads

Fat Guy

It's actually an egg separator. You crack the egg into Boris's head, and then tilt his head forward. The white part of the egg comes running out of his nose in a most disgusting manner, and the yolk part stays safely inside his head.

I could see using Boris as a pencil jar in the near future.

Preview him here:

http://www.stupid.com/stat/BORS.html

This thing if fucking hilarious.

Have you guys seen that mini blender/ food processor where you blend in the glass then screw on tacky-colored lids. Guac in a glass! Just what I've been waiting for...

I can't remember the name of the product...late night in a random hotel. But it was pure genius according to the people on the show and they're ALWAYS right.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

My favorites were probably the first infomercials i'd ever seen way back circa 1990: The Electric Kitchen (immsersion blender) and The Super Snacker.

The Electric Kitchen could whip skim milk into a delicious mousse like dessert, just add strawberries! or Slim Fast powder. Makes peanut butter with the nifty little jar attachment and mayonnaise almost instantly.

The Super Snacker was a grilled sandwich machine, just add the bread and the fillings and press! Most memorable was the 'apple turnover' made with sliced white bread and canned apple pie filling. Wonder if Sandra Lee's heard of that.

It's fun to joke about this stuff, but can we hear from people who have these products? Someone wrote above that a chef friend praised the Popeil Rotisserie. I've heard that many restaurants use the George Foreman grill. I would think that a cheap sharp Ginsu knife isn't all that bad, as long as you're carefull with the flexible blade.

Who owns infomercial stuff? How good is it? How long until it got stuck in the back of the pantry?

:huh: My work used a Foreman grill to cook ground beef for shepherd's pies and cornish pasties...We'd have to empty the fat and juice into a gravy separator, then pour the juice into the meat mixture, then pound the chunks of ground beef in a bowl to break them into bits.

:hmmm: I dislike it on the basis that pulling the juice out and having to put it back in isn't a very way to cook something flavourful. Makes pretty good smashed sandwiches, but for that, I'd buy a sandwich grill first - cheaper and easier to clean.

:angry: The Foreman grill is a pain in the ass to clean up, and grease had a tendency to run under the grill and make a mess on the countertop.

• 3 weeks later...
:angry: The Foreman grill is a pain in the ass to clean up, and grease had a tendency to run under the grill and make a mess on the countertop.

Agree wholeheartedly! One of the most difficult to clean appliances I've ever owned!!

I also have an immersion blender but I don't use it much. I guess there just aren't that many things I make that would be better with it. Maybe my potato soup....

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

• 2 months later...

I just saw one of the dumbest things yet. Remember the pancake pan that is two sided so you can flip it? Well, the concept has now been "improved" into the Breakfast Express 3X. Same concept as the pancake pan but this has 3 round cavities for putting an egg, sausage, pancake batter, whatever. OK... that doesn't sound so bad but, on further reflection, what good is THREE? :wacko:

But wait! I comes with one of those counter top, whirling blade, magic choppers.

Sorry, it must be so new and advanced that it isn't on a web site yet.

(But I will put in a plug for the new Google eG. I usually have a hell of a time finding this thread. Yeah! Go Team! :biggrin: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose