• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The wonderful world of late-night TV cookware ads

Fat Guy

The commercial is only so-so, but I spotted another "As Seen On TV" device which actually seems kind of clever:

pastapro1.gif

Pasta Pro: Boil, drain, sauce, toss and serve in the same piece of cookware.

Plotnicki will hate it!  :biggrin:

This weekend I was watching Good Eats and in the midst of an Alton Brown lecture on cooking pasta (which I was finding particularly intriguing as it meant I didn't have to run down to change over the laundry) on comes an infomercial for the Pasta Pro. Talk about two completely opposite approaches to pasta preparation.

Then I saw the "As Seen on TV" logo and recalled the time when I was in PR that I had a chance to interview the self-proclaimed inventor of the phrase, as well as the man who brought you Ginsu knives, Steve something-or-other (truth be told he was so full of himself it was difficult to remember the guy's name). So, the Pasta Pro is just another schtick item in a long list of schtick items that this guy has developed. Very entrepreneurial, not to mention "what a friggin' scam artist!"

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I am a big fan of the presentations you get at the County Fair or some such event. The V-Slicer is the only thing I have come close to buying (since I need a mandoline); does anybody know how well it compares?

The best part about the county fair ones is that they are live and the people doing the presentation are not as good so it can get pretty funny at times. I did have a bad experience once though. I used to hang out at the fair all the time back in the day since my mom was a 4-H leader and I had to be there for a week solid. There was one guy who was selling the hand cranked food processer (Rocket Chef or something), and he would make fresh salsa for the audience to taste. I would stop by the booth every so often to get a little free snack. Later that night I was throwing up every half hour like clockwork. I had a taste aversion to cilantro for about 5 years.

:wacko:

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

The commercial is only so-so, but I spotted another "As Seen On TV" device which actually seems kind of clever:

pastapro1.gif

Plotnicki will hate it!  :biggrin:

This weekend I was watching Good Eats and in the midst of an Alton Brown lecture on cooking pasta (which I was finding particularly intriguing as it meant I didn't have to run down to change over the laundry) on comes an infomercial for the Pasta Pro. Talk about two completely opposite approaches to pasta preparation.

Then I saw the "As Seen on TV" logo and recalled the time when I was in PR that I had a chance to interview the self-proclaimed inventor of the phrase, as well as the man who brought you Ginsu knives, Steve something-or-other (truth be told he was so full of himself it was difficult to remember the guy's name). So, the Pasta Pro is just another schtick item in a long list of schtick items that this guy has developed. Very entrepreneurial, not to mention "what a friggin' scam artist!"

On Food Channel, this ad ran during one break. Then, the very next break, an ad ran for a "better" product that was 1/3 larger had 2 different sets of holes and was priced the same. It was an offwhite color (coordinates with any interior or some such claim).

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

pastapro1.gif

Plotnicki will hate it!  :biggrin:

my husband just ordered this for his brother's birthday/11 yeear sober gift.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

What's interesting is when a somewhat well-known company purchases these As Seen on TV products and puts their name on it, as if it'll make a difference that Samsonite now offers those vaccumable bags that shrink your clothes down to pancakes, what're they called, the Honey I Shrunk Our Sweaters, Now They'll Fit in Our Suitcase Bags.

I'm sure the makers of the Pasta Pro are hoping beyond hope that Calphalon buys them out and they can all retire young. Fat chance!

Edit: I actually spelled 'clothes' 'close.' It was a typo, yeah, that's the ticket!

Edited by Hopleaf (log)

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Scott keeps threatening to buy me a "Rocket Chef" for our anniversary :rolleyes::wink:

(Personally, I'd like a "Turbo Cooker") :raz:

Te saddest thing is though, we all sit there surfing through the TV channels, and because there is food involved - we actually WATCH the infomercial :biggrin:

I was always amused by the little English guy wearin the bowtie...what the hell kinda drugs was he on...I want some!!

I also laughed at the info commercials with the Brady bunch mom you know Florence Henderson, selling the pressure cooker that cooks food in half the time.

Then there is always George Foreman pushing his grills..lol ...buy one or ELSE!!!

Oh and we can't forget the Juice man...how old is that guy anyway? Is he still alive?...by the way anyone interested in buying a slightly used juice machine?

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

Why are British/Austrailian accents so prominent in these infomercials?  I guess they are better than those American Testostorone Screamers that hawk edged weapons/sporting memoriabilia.  LOL

According to my sister the advertiser, Americans think that British are more intelligent and trustworthy. As for why Americans flock to "Euro" everything, ask my ex-girlfriend because she sure did.

Brownies flavoured with salmon and shrimp? Marvelous.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

One of the secrets behind the Turbo Cooker is the SteamFrying method. This combination of frying and steaming food simultaneously was invented by Chef Randall, a skilled French chef with over 20 years of experience. Steaming and Frying are two completely opposite methods of cooking. However, the Turbo Cooker pan has been specifically engineered to meld these two principles of cooking together - into the Steamfrying method. Here's how it works. The Turbo Cooker pan creates a "vapor seal" which captures an intense amount of steam. This steam rotates throughout the unit creating convection cooking. This natural occurring process maintains liquids in the base longer and allows any liquid to replace oil for frying.

turbocathy.jpg

They laughed at me at the Culinary Academy. Laughed! Well, I'll show them! I'LL SHOW THEM ALL! MWA-HA-Ha-HAAAA! (cough, cough)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Slightly less on the lunatic fringe: has anyone seen the Advantium Oven ads? What gives with this thing - it claims to "cook with the power of light." Is it just a microwave that zaps at a different wavelength?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Slightly less on the lunatic fringe: has anyone seen the Advantium Oven ads?  What gives with this thing - it claims to "cook with the power of light."  Is it just a microwave that zaps at a different wavelength?

It uses high power hallogen light bulbs and I think suppliments with microwaves. Sort of like a grown up Easy-Bake oven.

Thanks Jin...now I know what the Turbo Cooker is...what in the world is the Rocket Chef (do I want my illusions ruined :raz: )?

rocket-chef.jpg

The Rocket Chef represents a new era in cooking technology. Where in the past it would have required over $500 worth of power-consuming equipment to fill all your chopping, blending and ice cream making needs, Rocket Chef combines all of these functions in one compact hand-driven machine. With its 8 powerful precision blades, you can slice, chop, blend, beat, whip, mix, whisk, grate and shred  small mammals like cute kiitens or faithful puppies. It will speak to you in your dreams and be your friend always, no matter what. Not like that Sylvia from 8b who suddenly had to go to the hospital to visit her "dying" father when you had just started to reveal how little she knows about gnocchi. Who needs friends like that, anyway? Rocket Chef will always listen to anything you want to say and go "VRRRRM VRRRRM" in approval. How much is that worth? What is anything worth? $3,000,000,000 gazillion tops? No matter how you price it, Rocket Chef is worth it. Order now and we'll throw in something we found.

I favor the Thunderstick Pro. With 12,000 rpm! It's so powerful it whips water into a delicious, fat-free dessert! The best part of it is you can eat and feel full, but you won't be loading yourself down with calories-- it's really just air! (Serious, if not exact quote.)

My favorite aspect of these ads is how difficult they make mundane kitchen tasks seem, "Tired of that frustrating old peeler...", while they show someone lacerating their forearms in attempt to free an Idaho from its skin. A peeler! "Tired of that impossible to understand knife..." :blink:

In the "not Pasta-Pro" ad (the off-white one), the beleagured home-economist drops half the (over-cooked) pasta down the garbage disposal. Cut to: hungry family at table. Scowling Husband throws hands in the air with James Finlayson-esque exasperation at wife's continuing ineptitude. A classic.

Slightly less on the lunatic fringe: has anyone seen the Advantium Oven ads?  What gives with this thing - it claims to "cook with the power of light."  Is it just a microwave that zaps at a different wavelength?

Obviously the whole ploy here is that they think the entire viewing audience fell asleep during high school science classes and don't realize that visible light is no more powerful or "natural" than any other kind of radiation from the EM spectrum.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Say what you want about Ron Popiel but he's one fasinating guy:

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventors/popeil.htm

You could even say that his combined influence on both food and television may be second only to that of another fasinating person, Ms Julia Child.

Please note that I went to great pains to avoid mentioning both names in the same paragraph.

SB (loves Julia)