• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled red onions

willows

So, I've been making quick-pickled red onions for immediate use, sliced into strips and marinated in a vinegar brine just until they change color.

Can I keep these for longer than a couple of days? Is there another, similar red onion pickle recipe that lasts a little longer? It'd be nice to have a jar of crunchy, tart, pungent onions to put on sandwiches or what-have-you.

I use the recipe in the Zuni cookbook, they seem to last forever. I have a jar from last summer in the fridge that taste as good as the day I made them.

So, I've been making quick-pickled red onions for immediate use, sliced into strips and marinated in a vinegar brine just until they change color.

Can I keep these for longer than a couple of days? Is there another, similar red onion pickle recipe that lasts a little longer? It'd be nice to have a jar of crunchy, tart, pungent onions to put on sandwiches or what-have-you.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

ya know... we used to have this sauce we made in school that went with a ternderloin dish... it was a normal salt and peppered beef tenderloin with a pickled red onion puree...

All we did was put the onions with alittle white pepper in a jar or bowl or can or whatever holding device, pour key lime juice on it... maybe about 1/4th of the way up the onions (if it were in a jar) the onions would turn a nice pink color, then we would puree it... you dont have to puree it... but either way its good, and i think it lasts a while...

You could always pickle it as you are doing it and put it through the canning process... it should last almost forever... as long as its sealed...

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

How long does an opened jar of pickles last in the fridge....forever. The onions are in vinegar, same as the pickles. The only thing extra in the pickles will likely be citric acid which is there to increase the acidity. Vinegar does that. Relax and enjoy.