• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharpening a cleaver

edwardsboi

I've got a chinese cleaver, but its not as sharp as my chef knives.

Are chinese cleavers not supposed to be that sharp? And, if they are supposed to be sharper, how do you sharpen them? Is it the same method that you'd use to sharpen a chef's knife?

I've got a chinese cleaver, but its not as sharp as my chef knives.

Are chinese cleavers not supposed to be that sharp? And, if they are supposed to be sharper, how do you sharpen them? Is it the same method that you'd use to sharpen a chef's knife?

Cleavers are like any other knives. They get dull over time/uses.

To sharpen... I use a small grinding stone. And apply a lot of patience. If way too dull, you can use a fine file to file it first, then grind. Or a motorized grinding wheel first, then hand grind.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I've got two cleavers, a European one and a Chinese one. I sharpen them with a dry stone just like my other knives. The cleavers are the easiest to sharpen because the blade is so deep -- you'll easily see if you drift away from the correct angle. The hardest one is the fish knife -- long, narrow, curved and flexible.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've used used the wetstone and once in a very long while I will resharpen all my cleavers that way. BUT-- I find that just using a cleaver in each hand and swiping them against each other -- the way you would a cleaver and one of those sharpening sticks -- works just fine.

Just before I have my cooking classes, I take all my cleavers and just go to work, using two at a time, and after 50 or so swipes - on each side - they are sharpened just fine. 50 swipes really doesn't take much time at all -- 30 seconds a side?