• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hidden Treasures and All Stars in your collection

DanM

Good evening!

I have a couple of questions for everyone regarding their cookbook collections. What are the hidden treasures and all stars in your collection? The hidden treasures are the small books nobody has ever heard about, but are simply amazing. All stars are the favorites and game changers that have opened your eyes to new possibilities.

For Me

Hidden Treasure:

Three Bowls: Its an interesting book written at a Zen Buddhist monastery. The recipes are an eclectic mix of Japanese and American cuisines. It also has stories and lessons about Zen Buddhism and their philosophy on food.

All Stars

Any book by Denis Cotter of Cafe Paradiso. My wife and I came across Cafe Paradiso by happy accident during a bike trip through Ireland. Denis Cotter shows that vegetarian food does not have to be ruffage and boring. His recipes are sophisticated with layers of flavor and complexity. I always cook from these books when we have company over and always get rave reviews.

King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking. This is the book that opened my eyes to the possibilities of using variety grains when I bake. For example, I use a small amount of oat flour whenever I make cookies, scones, and cakes.

What is on your list?

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

ALL STARS:

I saw a post on another thread about The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Hearnley Whittingstall which got stuck in the back of my mind. Then one day when I was in a book store I saw the book and ended up sitting there for more than an hour reading it. This book is just incredible: so full of food for thought, information, recipes, techniques, philosophy, etc. that it makes your head hurt. I do not think that it would be an exaggeration to say that this book has changed my life.

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee is a book I acquired last summer when I attended an advanced boot camp program at the Culinary Institute of America. This is the book I have longed for many, many years but (foolishly) didn't know was out there. McGee is the number one food chemistry guru who can answer all the questions you can think of - he has influenced the lives and cooking of many a famous chef. For example, Heston Blumenthal gives McGee credit for getting him interested in cooking early on. This is a book you can read from cover to cover and then read or refer to again and again. Thank you Mr. McGee, you too changed my life. :biggrin::biggrin:

HIDDEN TREASURE

Ices: Sorbets, Granitas, Sherbets, and More by Sunil Vijayackar and Richard Jung: if you love concocting wonderful frozen treats all year long, whether for an intermezzo or simply for everyday enjoyment, this is a wonderful little book. I am not much for following recipes - mostly I use them for suggestion and guidance. This little book has tons of great ideas and interesting combos for frozen palate pleazers. :biggrin::biggrin:

I've got one body and one life, I'm going to take care of them.

I'm blogging as the Fabulous Food Fanatic here.