• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Woman Named to Michelin top post

moosnsqrl

Just noticed this on "The Beeb" website. Very interesting. The phrase "you've come a long way, baby" comes to mind. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Just noticed this on "The Beeb" website.  Very interesting.  The phrase "you've come a long way, baby" comes to mind. :wink:

It is quite sad that this really merits a news article, the usual media misogyny and cultural stereotyping in action. I have been reading Andy Hayler's blog for a few years and noted how highly he rated a lot of the German Michelin starred restaurants very highly (he has just completed his quest to eat in every 3* across the world). Clearly it is time to plan a trip to Germany.

Actually, I don't think they've "come a long way"- I think they have a long way to go...and this is probably a good start

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Jean-Luc Naret will be still in overall charge of the Guide Rouge so last word will be French anyway when it comes to three star matters.

Juliane Casper (the German woman has a name) has really done a fantastic job here in Germany by gradually modernizing the food testers approach and promoting new restaurants into culinary heights which have a unique and distinct (and less French) approach to ccoking. This year's third star for Sven Elverfeld is a prime example. And, the loss of the third star for Winkler is a good signal to noone can rest on his laurels.

Having said that I expect that in France there will be also a gradual modernization - let's see. Mrs Casper has a very good reputation here in Germany and is very knowledgable...