• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty Butters, Creams, etc

Darienne

A very interesting article in NY Times, Dec 18, 08 about butter and baking cites the three new cookbooks: Shirley O. Corriher, Bakewise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking (Scribner), Jennifer McLagan, Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, With Recipes (Ten Speed Press) and also Anita Chu, Field Guide to Cookies (Quirk Books) .

My question is: where can you buy specialty butters in the USA or Canada? Are they horrendously expensive? The shipping problems?

Also what about whipping creams? Greweling (or is it Shotts or ?) speaks of using whipping cream with a higher percentage of fat than the normal North American cream.

And while I'm on the subject. To me, American butter...and I've tried a number of them now...tastes quite different from Canadian butter. Anyone else found this? Or knows why?

Thanks. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.