• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dark hazelnut "flour"

Eden

I just purchased a bag of hazelnut flour from a local grower to make a cake, and unlike other hazelnut flours I've had (and made) this is very dark.

The website says that their flour is different because unlike hazelnut "meal" their nuts have some of the oil pressed out before grinding into flour. I don't see why that would make it darker though and it really is. It's even darker than King Arthur's Toasted Hazelnut Flour , which itself a little darker than regular hazelnut flour.

I have not heard of doing this to a nut flour before and am guessing it's to make the "flour" bahave more like a grain? Would this also make it more shelf stable?

Has anyone else seen, or better yet cooked with, a hazelnut flour like this one?

My cake is in the oven now, and the batter looked allright but I'm a bit concerned about how it will come out given the removal of some of the nut oils, since the recipe was expecting the usual ground nut meal...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...