• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate cream liqueur

Lior

Finally I found what I have been looking for-for a long time. It is a cream liqueur with chocolate. It came out perfect. The recipe calls for a dark amber caramel syrup, which while making it, requires a cup of water be added to the syrup at 195C. A friend suggested I used boiling water to prevent the tumultous sizzling scary adding of this water. Would this help? It does make perfect sense in theory.

Edited by Lior (log)

Finally I found what I have been looking for-for a long time. It is a cream liqueur with chocolate. It came out perfect. The recipe calls for a dark amber caramel syrup, which while making it, requires a cup of water be added to the syrup at 195C. A friend suggested I used boiling water to prevent the tumultous sizzling scary adding of this water. Would this help? It does make perfect sense in theory.

Is your liqueur different from creme de cacao? I like creme de cacao but it doesn't really seem that chocolate-y.

As for your caramel, it will still bubble and spatter when you add hot liquid, but you won't get that maddening hardening of your sugar that then has to be re-melted that you get when you add cooler water.

As far as I understand, creme de cacao isn't with cream, right? Mine is sort of like Irish cream only chocolate cream. No yolks, but cream yes. The chocolate isn't intense, but is definitely there. Now I didn't get any lumps, which I thought I would, but maybe it was beginner's luck. Anyway, I will use boiling water just to make sure I don'tget lumps next time!!

even boiling water is only 212F (100C) so there's still almost a 100 degree difference in the caramel, so it will spatter and bubble and steam a lot. i think the trick is to whisk the liquid into the caramel a little at a time. regardless of temperature, that can help prevent lumps/seizing of the caramel.

Lior - Would you be willing to share your formula? It sounds delicious!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Especially for you:

First the dark caramel syrup, which is enough for many future productions, so this part is done only once in a while:

2 cups white sugar

2 cups water

95g (1/4 cup) glucose or corn syrup

method

Bring the sugar and ONE cupof water and the corn syrup into a medium pot. Mix and bring to a boil. Place lid on pot and boil for 2 minutes in order to steam off any sugar stuck to the sides of the pot. Remove lid. Cook till dark amber or to be precise to 195C This takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes, depending on the flame strength. I use a medium on the lower side flame and it took me 24 minutes!!

When it reaches this, turn off flame. Have pot lid ready to use first as a shield and then to cover pot. Wear oven gloves. All at once pour the second cup of water into the pot of caramel. I haven't tried boiling water yet, but it makes sense. Immediately cover pot and wait till the storm inside dies down. Then stir to ensure there are no lumps. I never had lumps and hope I never do!!!

Store in a glass jar in fridge.

Chocolate Cream Liqueur

1 can of condensed sweetened milk- 14 oz or about 570g

1 cup of cream

1 and 1/2 cups amber rum- about 350g. I didn't have any so I used brandy and it was great.

2 tablespoons of dark amber caramel syrup- 2oz

57-60 g of dark chocolate - I used 64% but next time Iwilltry a higher percentage

(2 oz)

1 tsp coffee

1 tsp Goldschlager liqueur 81% (has cinnamon in) I couldn't get it so I used alcohol and a pinch of cinn

1 tsp vanilla

Bring cream to a simmer and then add chocolate and stir till homogeneous

Take off heat and add condensed milk, coffee, vanilla and caramel syrup. Stir well til all is incorporated.

Add rum/brandy and Goldschlager. Stir for 2 mins

Pour into bottle and store in fridge. Shake before serving. Makes about 1.150 liters.

Enjoy!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Especially for you:

First the dark caramel syrup, which is enough for many future productions, so this part is done only once in a while:

2 cups white sugar

2 cups water

95g (1/4 cup) glucose or corn syrup

method

Bring the sugar and ONE cupof water and the corn syrup into a medium pot. Mix and bring to a boil. Place lid on pot and boil for 2 minutes in order to steam off any sugar stuck to the sides of the pot. Remove lid.  Cook till dark amber or to be precise to 195C  This takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes, depending on the flame strength. I use a medium on the lower side flame and it took me 24 minutes!!

When it reaches this, turn off flame. Have pot lid ready to use first as a shield and then to cover pot. Wear oven gloves. All at once pour the second cup of water into the pot of caramel. I haven't tried boiling water yet, but it makes sense. Immediately cover pot and wait till the storm inside dies down.  Then stir to ensure there are no lumps. I never had lumps and hope I never do!!!

Store in a glass jar in fridge.

Chocolate Cream Liqueur

1 can of condensed sweetened milk- 14 oz or about 570g

1 cup of cream

1 and 1/2 cups amber rum- about 350g.  I didn't have any so I used brandy and it was great.

2 tablespoons of dark amber caramel syrup- 2oz

57-60 g of dark chocolate - I used 64% but next time Iwilltry a higher percentage

(2 oz)

1 tsp coffee

1 tsp Goldschlager liqueur 81% (has cinnamon in) I couldn't get it so I used alcohol and a pinch of cinn

1 tsp vanilla

Bring cream to a simmer and then add chocolate and stir till homogeneous

Take off heat and add condensed milk, coffee, vanilla and caramel syrup. Stir well til all is incorporated.

Add rum/brandy and Goldschlager. Stir for 2 mins

Pour into bottle and store in fridge. Shake before serving. Makes about 1.150 liters.

Enjoy!!

Mmmmm! Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the post!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

So I made a batch tonight. Only bothered to make half a batch of the caramel syrup. Half way through it occurred to me that this could be make even better by substituting dulce de leche for the condensed milk. I had about half the alcohol needed as amber rum, for the rest I used marc de champagne (60% alcohol).

Quite delicious - though I'm not much of a drinker - so with about 1/2 an ounce mixed with some milk - I'm feeling a bit tipsy.

Yes it is quite strong for non drinkers! Funny that you mentioned the dulce de L becauseas it is hard for me to find condensed milk here, when I did find I bought a bunch. Sitting on my shelf for who knows how long they had turned brownish and I remembered the old thread on this topic and used it brown- and thought- hmmm I wonder if DDL would be good in this!! Half the caramel syrup is a very obvious solution that I didn't think of!! What % choc did you use? I thought of using a higher % for a slightly stronger choc taste as it is quite sweet. Everyone here who tasted it said " This is leega!" meaning of slang: This is in a league of its own! Now, of course, most of them aren't gourmet drinkers or even so into drinks!! But I thought it was funny!!

Yes it is quite strong for non drinkers! Funny that you mentioned the dulce de L becauseas it is hard for me to find condensed milk here, when I did find I bought a bunch. Sitting on my shelf for who knows how long they had turned brownish and I remembered the old thread on this topic and used it brown- and thought- hmmm I wonder if DDL would be good in this!! Half the caramel syrup is a very obvious solution that I didn't think of!! What % choc did you use? I thought of using a higher % for a slightly stronger choc taste as it is quite sweet. Everyone here who tasted it said " This is leega!" meaning of slang: This is in a league of its own! Now, of course, most of them aren't gourmet drinkers or even so into drinks!! But I thought it was funny!!

I used what ever chocolate was lying around - I think it's about 64%. I think the tsp of instant expresso really punches up the chocolate flavour.