• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Apple Sauce

Shel_B

Hi,

Every now and then I make a batch of apple sauce, most often using Gravenstein apples from the trees that grow in my yard and the neighbor's yard. Usually I just peel and chop the apples, add some fresh apple juice to the mixture, and the apples down, covered, on low heat, until they reach the consistancy I like. I then mash the mixture with a potato masher, leaving some chunks for texture.

Well, it's apple season here, and the local markets have about fifty varieties of apples to choose from. What type of apples might you suggest? I want to try some honey crisp, some winesap, and Arkansas black. Good choices?

Also, any techniques or additions to the recipe that you might want to share? Sometimes I add a scosh of cinnamon, never use sugar, and not tried salt. Don't care for sugar ....

Thanks!

... Shel

I always simply cut the apples into quarters and cook them with the skins, seeds etc., then put the cooked apples through a food mill to remove the skins and seeds.

It may just be my imagination but I think the flavor is much better when made this way.

I posted a method for Penn.Dutch/Amish apple butter in that thread and my applesauce prep is exactly the same way as the first part of the apple butter method.

I learned this method as a child and have never seen any reason to change it.

I do have to say that it is much easier now with food mills that do all the hard work.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This year I used a lot of cranberries in with the apples. Nice and tart, plus extra redness.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I guess it's bad habit on my part but when I cook I always try to make it as haute as I can, seems to be instilled into the minds of a lot of CiA grads that they have to do so. Often time it takes longer to make then to eat. However I work in an office/warehouse now so I make myself lunch. I hate going to work all day and to come home to stand behind a stove for hours, but thankfully I've been able to refine my techniques while still keeping up with flavor and simply making it looki delicious.

SeanDirty's applesauce

Apples, peeled, cut into a small dice (doesn't have to be perfect, you don't have to take forever but small squares about 1/4 of an inch all around is what you want)

White wine (the one I used sat in my fridge opened for weeks, as I don't drink much, point is any ole white you can use.)

Honey (to taste)

Maple syrup (a splash to taste optional)

Corn syrup (optional)

Sugar(optional)

Cinnamon (a sprinkle)

Nutmeg (a sprinkle)

Salt (a dash)

Butter (half a tablespoon depends on how much your making, I used 1 apple as I was making a topping for my porkchops)

Method:

Place butter in a hot pot, cook apples on medium a few minutes until soft.

Throw in white wine (I cook by sight so sorry for no amounts, but add enough so that the apples can have a bit of liquid to thicken the sauce)

When the wine starts to reduce by about half, add honey and maple syrup, you can also add some white corn syrup for shine. And a little sugar if you want (taste after you add each sweetner as each will add a different type of sweetness and flavor, adjust to see which flavor you would like to be more pronounced)

After the sweetners add a touch of salt, as salt will bring out deeper flavors in the dish, even if it's just a dash.

All the while the wine and the apples should be cooking down, not into mush but deffinatly very tender that you could mash it with a spatula. And it should be a bit of liquid, but very little. You should be able to quenelle the apples together, meaning they should be able to mush together into a ball, but still keeping their cubed structure.

To finish add the cinnamon, and if you want nutmeg.

I don't like mushy applesauce, but as an adult purees are for sauce or for baby food.

I have a limited pantry and the things I can produce with what I have even surprizes me. The applesauce was delicious, and had varied depths of flavor.

It was so good I could eat a whole bowl of it by itself.

I'd really like it if someone made the recipe. And tell me what you think. And if you do and post a pic of it, I will bestow upon whomever as a prize. The BEST Oatmeal Cookie recipe of all time!!! :-)

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

I recently tried applesauce at a fair and it was delicious, but was $12/jar (and not a big jar...). The ingredients included orange marmalade. I recreated something similar by cooking my apples down in freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest. I added cinnamon, a tiny bit of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. I liked it as much if not more than what I had tried.

I recently tried applesauce at a fair and it was delicious, but was $12/jar (and not a big jar...). The ingredients included orange marmalade. I recreated something similar by cooking my apples down in freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest. I added cinnamon, a tiny bit of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. I liked it as much if not more than what I had tried.

Oh, that sounds great - I've never thought of mixing apples and oranges. How much orange juice did you add?

I had a couple of apples accumulate on my counter this week, which I received as gifts. I normally dislike apples, and I especially dislike the varieties grown in Japan, as they're too sweet for my taste. I like a tart apple. My husband was making noises about throwing them out, but I hate waste more than I hate apples. Sure enough, I log in, and what's on the forums but a topic on apple sauce. D'uh, of course. :wacko:

Sean Dirty, I took your challenge and made your applesauce because I was intrigued by the use of wine for simmering. I thought it might cut the sweetness, and it really did. I used a touch of honey instead of maple syrup, and peppercorns instead of nutmeg, since I didn't have any on hand. The dice on the apple isn't as pretty as I'd like since my husband did it for me, but otherwise I was really happy with it. Not like babyfood at all. We had it with pork loin for dinner, and with oatmeal for breakfast. There's still some left, which I might pair with some old cheddar for pre-dinner snacks tonight.

Do you have any ideas for an apple chutney?

gallery_41378_5233_199996.jpg

I always simply cut the apples into quarters and cook them with the skins, seeds etc., then put the cooked apples through a food mill to remove the skins and seeds. 

[...]

I do have to say that it is much easier now with food mills that do all the hard work.

I don't have a food mill, nor will I be getting one for quite soe time. However, including some of the skin sounds like a good idea, but I'd only used organic, unwaxed apples for that.

... Shel

I recently tried applesauce at a fair [...] I recreated something similar by cooking my apples down in freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest. 

That's a great idea. I'll try that this weekend.

... Shel

[...]

I don't have a food mill, nor will I be getting one for quite soe time. However, including some of the skin sounds like a good idea, but I'd only used organic, unwaxed apples for that.

By a food mill, I meant an inexpensive hand-operated one. They are great for many purposes, not just making applesauce.

Food mill - inexpensive

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

By a food mill, I meant an inexpensive hand-operated one.  They are great for many purposes, not just making applesauce.

Food mill - inexpensive

Thanks for the link. I really have no desire to own a food mill, and probably wouldn't buy the one you linked to. It looks to be made of plastic - I don't care to use any plastic-made products. Were I to get a food mill, I'd go for a good quality stainless steel mill. Hand operated would be fine. I didn't know there were food mills that were other than hand operated.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Oh, that sounds great - I've never thought of mixing apples and oranges. How much orange juice did you add?

I had a couple of apples accumulate on my counter this week, which I received as gifts. I normally dislike apples, and I especially dislike the varieties grown in Japan, as they're too sweet for my taste. I like a tart apple. My husband was making noises about throwing them out, but I hate waste more than I hate apples. Sure enough, I log in, and what's on the forums but a topic on apple sauce. D'uh, of course. :wacko:

Sean Dirty, I took your challenge and made your applesauce because I was intrigued by the use of wine for simmering. I thought it might cut the sweetness, and it really did. I used a touch of honey instead of maple syrup, and peppercorns instead of nutmeg, since I didn't have any on hand. The dice on the apple isn't as pretty as I'd like since my husband did it for me, but otherwise I was really happy with it. Not like babyfood at all. We had it with pork loin for dinner, and with oatmeal for breakfast. There's still some left, which I might pair with some old cheddar for pre-dinner snacks tonight.

Do you have any ideas for an apple chutney?

gallery_41378_5233_199996.jpg

AHhhhh Im so happy you made it, yeah i really like how the wine cuts the sugar as well as adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish... As for apple chutney... Well i did work at Tabla for alittle while, unfortunatly i was working front of the house and was not privy to the exact recipes, however if i did have to make a recipe up this would be it...

Apples small diced (sorry im a sucker for presentation, however looking at your picture which is great, i now wish i woulda taken a pic of mine... but i usually do it half the size, and probably a little less cooking time)

Yukon Gold potatoes small diced (boil ahead of time, you could leave the skin on as the skin on yukons are thin, chill them and dice them about the same size as the apples)

Grainy mustard (any mustard with crushed or whole seeds would work i like whole)

1/2 teaspoon orange peel (micro plane)

Chardonnay vinegar ( i suppose any wine vin would work, i work with whatever i have in my fridge... which i tell you isn't much at all, but i can come out with some amazing dishes... about 1/4 of an inch up on the apples)

1/2 brown sugar, 1/2 white sugar (add enough to your tastes, brown sugar for depth and white for sweetness) If you like you can skip the brown sugar for maple syrup or a little honey...

splash of orange juice

dash of graham Marsala, and cardamon, and nutmeg. (Toasted if possible...) (its very important to toast spices in Indian dishes as it opens up/releases the flavors.)

a touch of diced or julienne ginger.

dab of butter, Salt and pepper T.T.

Method:

ive read alot of recipes that say cook vinegar and sugar first...but i always like to caramelize my apples first... i think its always good to build flavors... so first:

Heat pan, add butter, add apples, let cook for a minute on medium high for a minute before you stir, just let it slightly brown.

Add vinegar, let it come to a light simmer, add sweeteners. Also add the splash of Oj, the ginger, the orange peel, spices, and the mustard last.

(the liquid in the pot shouldn't be that much... by the end it should be alittle liquid on the bottom but not much, it should be just enough that a tablespoon of the grain mustard should be able to thicken it out into a spreadable soft butter consistency)

Now adjust the dish for flavoring. (salt pepper, you can also add some tobasco or some kinda heat if you like... perhaps a small diced jalapeno, or maybe even chipotle if you wanna get crraaazzyyy... hah.

Now the mustard is not necessary, graham marsala is not necessary, nor are the other spices... you could omit the spices, to make it alittle more "American flavored" but i'd keep the mustard in... The potatoes are not necessary either... but if you choose not to add the potatoes you can omit the mustard...

would be great with any protein, except for maybe beef...

The cookie recipe will be in your PM.

Now that....sounds like an apple recipe I can get behind, like. Excellent, excellent. Question: Graham Marsala - do you mean garam masala? Not some sort of Marsala wine?

Now, somethings I don't have access to - the potatoes will have to be May Queens, and the brown sugar is a little different in these parts. Oooh, what do you think about substituting Daikon for the potato? Hmm.

(And I agree with you about the dice on those apples, but I have a broken arm, and my husband is doing all the knifework around here, and he tells me I have to be patient.)

Now that....sounds like an apple recipe I can get behind, like. Excellent, excellent. Question: Graham Marsala - do you mean garam masala? Not some sort of Marsala wine?

Now, somethings I don't have access to - the potatoes will have to be May Queens, and the brown sugar is a little different in these parts. Oooh, what do you think about substituting Daikon for the potato? Hmm.

(And I agree with you about the dice on those apples, but I have a broken arm, and my husband is doing all the knifework around here, and he tells me I have to be patient.)

I did mean Garam masala... sorry my spelling is terrible.

Dikon has an interesting texture when cooked... i suppose you could sub it out... but then again if i imagine it right, the dikon will just end up being masked by the apples and spices, you may be better off leaving it out.

I used the juice and zest from 3 large oranges and probably 6-8 apples. I've made a bunch of batches but haven't really been measuring. It is nice to play around with something forgiving like applesauce!