• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday lunch

Having to try and organise a Sunday lunch booking for nine people in the middle of December. It needs to be near Hyde Park if possible with a cost of £20 ex-drinks per person. A decent gastro pub or similar would be good. Thought of the Running Footman but not been there and Mayfair is dead to say the least on a Sunday. Am thinking of somewhere in Marleybone if possible? Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Cheers.

Having to try and organise a Sunday lunch booking for nine people in the middle of December. It needs to be near Hyde Park if possible with a cost of £20 ex-drinks per person. A decent gastro pub or similar would be good. Thought of the Running Footman but not been there and Mayfair is dead to say the least on a Sunday. Am thinking of somewhere in Marleybone if possible? Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Cheers.

Pizza Express on Beauchamp Place? :wink:

Sorreee but £20/head is a tough one, even for a Gastro Pub. The Swag and Tails immediately sprung to mind but I'm afraid I've never noticed it open at the weekend.

Anglesea Arms in South Ken? It's popular but I've never been that enthused with the food except the pork scratchings. It's a bit of a trek from HPC too.

Total oldie worldie has to be the Nags Head on Kinnerton St, but you go there for the location and 'interesting' clientele, not the food. I bumped into Marcus Wareing there not so long ago. He was looking for one of his staff who'd done a runner... possibly not the first time that's happened I'm sure if certain TV programs are to be believed.

For food, if you don't mind Victoria/Pimilico, The Ebury would be my choice. It has either the downstairs casual eating or upstaris more a table cloth affair. Wine list great. This is going to sound a very weird comment, but in the evenings it seems to attract the tall crowd. Really.

Sorry these are all south/south west of Hyde Park, but that's where I know.

Cheers, H

http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/reviews/12592.html

i haven't been myself, but this place - the Temperance is owned by the guys who have the perseverence in lambs conduit st and the endurance in soho both of which are good gastro pubs and it is marylebone so may well fit the bill...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man