• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One of the tastiest snacks I've made in a while...

Beancooker

I was hungry and looking for dinner. I have a lot of "stuff" in the fridge, but no meal. Within the last few days, I have made a huge batch of tuna garlic salad, some arugula pesto and focaccia bread.

So I took the focaccia bread, sliced it into 3/4" slices. Heated 4ish tbsp. olive oil until it was close to burning, and dropped them in. Took them out, added more oil, and repeated for the other side. I now have some delightfully crisp crostinis.

Out comes the tuna garlic salad. I scoop out enough to cover the crostinis with about 3/4" of tuna.

I top that with some 2 year aged sharp cheddar cheese (grated finely).

Throw under the broiler long enough to melt the cheese, but not heat the tuna.

Take out, spread a thick layer of arugula pesto on top and enjoy.

In case you want the recipes:

Tuna: 4 cans tuna, enough mayo to make standard American tuna salad, 4-8 cloves garlic depending on size, 1/2 tsp extra hot red chili flakes. Mix all ingredients and let sit for 24 hours. Stir well before use.

Arugula pesto: 1/4 C pine nuts (Toast under broiler shake pan 1/2 way through), 1 C olive oil, 6-10 cloves garlic (depending on size), 3 cups arugula leaves, 1/4 C parm.

In a blender, mix the oil, toasted nuts, cheese and garlic. Blend until smooth. add the arugula, and blend until near smooth.

Edited by Beancooker (log)

You made the world's best tuna melt!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish