• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Debate dinners

lala

With the economic downturn and high interest in the presidential debates, my friends and I are making simple dinners and watching the debates together. It started with us emailing each other what ingredients we were willing to bring to the table (so to speak!). First debate yielded chicken quesadillas, last night was the Turkish pasta from the NYT served with a cucumber salad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/dining/0...html?ref=dining

Our only restrictions are that the meal must be inexpensive (we allow $10 per person with entree, sides and dessert) and that it can be eaten from plates on our laps (not enough table space for us all to see the tv, so we're sprawled around the living room).

What dinners are you making for the debates?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I was actually out at a Pub Crawl the night of the debates (and I think that helped a lot. Drinking numbs the headaches.), but before I left, I made a big pot of chili for my family. Easy to eat on the couch in the living room and pretty cheap, too.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini