• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesecake bonbon shelf life question

carol lang

I am thinking of using cheese cake as a part of a molded chocolate bon bon.

Would this present serious shelf life issues?

Could I expect a 2 week shelf life? The cheese cake will be sealed in the mold with other ingredients.

I should have planned ahead and done my own test but since I did not, I would appreciate any help from those of you with more experience.

Thank you

Carol

I made something similar to David Burke's Cheesecake Pops, and turned them over to a focus group (the emergency room staff at a local hospital) with surveys to fill out. The inquiries were about taste, texture, thickness of chocolate, consistency of filling. My samples were fully coated with Ghirardelli white, milk, or dark chocolate. I used a scratch cheesecake recipe which was handed down to me by my friend's sister.

All those who had their sample right away loved them. Those who had them after they came to room temperature said they were difficult to eat, as the outside was hard and the inside was so very, very soft.

My conclusion is that this is an item which must be refrigerated. Once coated, I would give them no more refrigerated shelf life than two weeks, but to tell you the truth, they've never lasted that long each time I have made them again. My family has this psychic ability which tells them when I'm experimenting in the kitchen, and they have a tendency to all flock into my kitchen at the same time, like seagulls at a dumpster.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln