• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appareil a bombe recipe in English?

Lee Gomes

I am making a Bombe Doria, which has pistachio ice cream on the outside and a core of "appareil a bombe" on the inside. I can't, though, find an English-language recipe for the latter. (The ones in French I have seem inconsistent or contradictory, though that surely has more to do with my French language skills than anything else.) If anyone can point to an English recipe, or provide the outline of one, I would be very grateful. I know enough to know that an "appareil a bombe" is ultimately a pretty simple matter of syrup and egg yolks and perhaps some whipped cream.

The original Larousse Gastronomique in English is one good source for a bombe recipe - although if memory serves, it is one with 32 egg yolks, so reduction may be in order. I am not where I can get to my library, but you might want to look at Mastering the Art of French Pastry by Bruce Healy and Paul Bugat. Either Frederic Bau or Pierre Herme will likely have a recipe in their professional books. Also, I believe that Bo Freiburg's pastry texts have a recipe.

A pate a bombe starts like a classic French buttercream base: hot sugar syrup poured into raw egg yolks as they are being whisked or whipped on a mixer. When the mix is fluffy and cool, copious amounts of cool, soft butter are gradually beaten in to make the buttercream; for the bombe mix, it is flavored prior to use in a bombe construction. Sometimes whipped cream is folded in to lighten the bombe mix, prior to filling the mould.

Good luck,

Sharon

I am making a Bombe Doria, which has pistachio ice cream on the outside and a core of "appareil a bombe" on the inside. I can't, though, find an English-language recipe for the latter. (The ones in French I have seem inconsistent or contradictory, though that surely has more to do with my French language skills than anything else.) If anyone can point to an English recipe, or provide the outline of one, I would be very grateful. I know enough to know that an "appareil a bombe" is ultimately a pretty simple matter of syrup and egg yolks and perhaps some whipped cream.

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Most "Doria" recipes include a salute to Italy in some fashion, with the inclusion of specifically Italian ingredients, sometimes from a specific area.

Sometimes the nod to Italy in the recipes consists merely of using the colors of the Italian flag, so if the outside is green, perhaps a red layer and a white? Flavors---I cannot tell you---are succeeding flavors listed in your recipe/guideline?

Don't mind me---I'm totally ignorant in this subject---my favorite ice cream is vanilla, and my bombe experience is limited to few---I DID make the Martha Stewart replica of a watermelon, which was a great hit.

And I was making Creme Anglaise and calling it "boiled custard" for the Summer afternoon ice cream freezer on the lawn, long before I knew the words "Creme Anglaise."

So are "pate a bomb" and "appareil a bombe" the same thing? That would be nice, as there are recipes for the former all over the place.

Thanks for the info, racheld; the recipe I am using is from the most recent Larousse des Desserts; I presume the Italian ingredient would be the pistachio ice cream that forms the outer layer of the bombe. The appareil/pate is for the inner core.

Merci!

Yes, they are. Pate a bombe roughly translates to "bombe paste" or "bombe mix" and the appareil a bombe is basically translated as "bombe preparation".

Hope that clears it up.

Regards,

Theabroma

So are "pate a bomb" and "appareil a bombe" the same thing? That would be nice, as there are recipes for the former all over the place.

Thanks for the info, racheld; the recipe I am using is from the most recent Larousse des Desserts; I presume the Italian ingredient would be the pistachio ice cream that forms the outer layer of the bombe. The appareil/pate is for the inner core.

Merci!

You're most welcome .... and if you aren't going to send a doggie bag, then please send photos :raz:

Let us know how it turns out ..

Theabroma

Yes, they are.  Pate a bombe roughly translates to "bombe paste" or "bombe mix"  and the appareil a bombe is basically translated as "bombe preparation".

Hope that clears it up.

Regards,

Theabroma

Merci!