• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A much smarter way to mount lecithin foams

Sethro

When I get towards the bottom of my skim milk carton for my morning cereal, and shake it well per routine, I wind up with a very robust, stable foam.

So for service, transfer a few tbsp of foam base to a pint container, close lid and shake well. Voila, foam. No immersion blender + bain marie of nasty water + another bain marie to mount in.

This took me 5 years to think of?

There's a big difference, isn't there, between an emulsion and a foam. We've all (ok, those of us whose mothers have a dressing cruet) been making dressings this way, but I'm interested in this for foams only. Does lecithin have to be involved? Is there lecithin in skim milk (I could probably look this up, but maybe someone knows off the top of their head)? What else could stabilize a foam made this way?

Similarly, I've been looking at foaming soap dispensers recently--they say that a 10/90 soap/water ratio will create foam. Could these be turned to culinary uses?

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

There's a big difference, isn't there, between an emulsion and a foam.  We've all (ok, those of us whose mothers have a dressing cruet) been making dressings this way, but I'm interested in this for foams only.  Does lecithin have to be involved?  Is there lecithin in skim milk (I could probably look this up, but maybe someone knows off the top of their head)?  What else could stabilize a foam made this way?

There's no need to create an emulsification between lecithin and liquid (fat or water). Lecithin is protein an will bond pretty easily with most bases. The only issue is incorporation, due to the granule size and wicked clumping disposition. I shear my lecithin foams together in the vitaprep, no heat necessary. Keep a quart in the lowboy and transfer a couple floz at a time to your pint container, and shake away.

There is no lecithin occurring in skim milk. Lecithin is derived from soy. Skim milk will foam because there is little to no fat interfering with the proteins. It foams in a similar way to egg whites. For this reason I base most of my frothy foams on skim milk, even juice flavors.