• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

USB Temp Probe

gfweb

I want to monitor temperature of cooking/cooling meat and have it logged into a computer. Why? Just to fool around with it.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced USB probe? I can find fancy-schmancy ones at science places , but I don't want to spend >$75.

I want to monitor temperature of cooking/cooling meat and have it logged into a computer. Why?  Just to fool around with it.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced USB probe?  I can find fancy-schmancy ones at science places , but I don't want to spend >$75.

Check www.thermoworks.com - the problem is you get what you pay for, and $75 doesn't buy much these days, although if you get a TW-USB-1 USB device for 59.95 and a Fast Response Meat Needle Probe for $30.00 - you'd only be over your budget by $5, and even if you get a Straight Type K Extension lead, 118" (3 meters) for $16 - you are still only $21 over your target price. Good news - software is free!

Edited by MikeTMD (log)

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection