• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holland Grills

bluesalt

While researching outdoor grills I came across the Holland grill and really liked the concept of no flare ups. Does anyone here own a Holland Grill and what can you tell me about them? I've never heard of them before.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in laws father sells holland grills, and they are quite popular here, I however dont like them they take forever, like 20 minutes for a hot dog. It isnt really a grill to me. I do know people that bake on them etc. It is just not something that really excites me. Give me a weber.

From the picture and description, it seems more like a portable gas oven than a grill -- not that that's a bad thing, but with the flame-drip pan-grate arrangement, it's not in the same category as a Weber or Chargriller. The comments on Amazon lead me to believe that people's affection for the product has a lot to do with Holland's insistence on their "unique" instructions, which include very sound advice for any griller: keep the lid closed and mess with the food as little as possible. I'm pretty sure even charcoal grills (the ones that come with instructions, anyway) will say the same thing -- but who reads the instructions for a grill?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've had a Holland Grill for over 10 years. I generally like the grill.

Pros:

Durable. I bought my Holland in 1997, and it's still going strong. Had to replace the bottom shell of the grill a couple of years ago. Holland shipped a kit for the entire lower shell of the grill, excluding burner, for something like $70. THeir service det is greeat to work with.

No flare-ups. Can easily cook chicken for a crowd (with _no_ free space on the grid) with absolutely no worries about getting it over-done. I cook our Thanksgiving turkey on it every year with great results.

Can be used as a large steamer -- I've steamed plenty of oysters on this thing.

Can be adjusted to do a decent job of slow cooking (takes some fiddling with the burner). I've cooked a pork shoulder all day at 230 for out annual new year's dinner before.

Cons:

Absolutely impossible to sear anything on it. Can't cook a decent steak without first searing it in a hot cast-iron skillet on the side burner. Really, who wants to do that with a Gas grill? I use a weber charcoal grill whenever I want to sear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have friends that swear by these. They however have the same cons that Charlesd had. One thing that they like about these grills is that the "drip tray" thing that protects from flare ups can be plugged and filled with apple cider, oj, etc.