• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Member Intro

Dave Wiley

Hello. I thought it might be most appropriate if my first post was an introduction. I have been a rum enthusiast for a few years, and see that I seem to share similar tastes to you folks here.

I normally have several bottles going at any one time. Around here (Indianapolis), good rum is hard to come by, so as I get low in a bottle, I open another. Right now I'm working on Cruzan single barrel, Casa Bacardi, Matusalem Gran Reserve, St. James, Zacapa, and HC 7.

Probably bad form to have so many open bottles, but they all have a place in the rotation.

I also indulge in port, bourbon, and smoke cigars like they're going out of style.

Dave Wiley

Welcome Dave,

Probably bad form to have so many open bottles, but they all have a place in the rotation.

Bad form? There is nothing that I would like to drink exclusively, and having several bottles open at one time is the only way to compare then fairly. I usually have at least 20 different bottles open at any one time, so I can compare and enjoy all of them.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Dave, welcome!

Ed: But how long does it take for you to finish one opened bottle? I'm also a bit timid about having more than two or three open bottles because I'm afraid that they will eventually get ruined, as it takes me several months to empty one of them. (only drink during the occasional weekend, and then I only sip)

Am I afraid for no reason? Should I just open my Cruzan Single Barrel and HC7 right now and not wait until I've emptied some of the other bottles?

I don't worry about rum going bad, I replace the cap after pouring drinks and try to minimize the amount of air that gets into the bottle.

If the rum is really good a bottle will only last a few weeks. I'm usually with friends so a bottle may only last a few days if it is mixing rum.

If you are concerned about oxidation as you should be if you have bottles around for more than say six months, I'd decant a bottle in two smaller bottles and put one away.

For me, having several bottles open is the only way to objectively compare different rums. If a bottle gets down to less than three fingers in the bottom of the bottle, it's time to use it up for me. There are usually some friends around to help and I guarantee that I'll have something you haven't tried.

In New York Jason and I tried a sample of a bottle from 1905 that didn't have any ill effects on me, it was good, as best as I can tell and there wasn't much in the bottle but I don't know how long it had been opened, several years I believe.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Greetings and salutations from the planet rum...

Cheers

I agree with Ed, I have about 15 to 20 bottles of rum open at once...

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Ed,

St James is really different. I had never tried a rum labelled as agricole, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I drink this one neat, I find that mixing it gives a drink more of a floral or perfumed character than I care for. That being said, it really doesn't get picked very often. Seems like I need to be in the mood for it or maybe its an acquired taste.

I found the bottle at a liquor supermarket in Bloomington Indiana, which is a college town, home of IU. I think they may have had 3 different St. James types on the shelf. This one is Hors D'Age.