• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2008 at 11:12 AM, chappie said:

Without fumbling around for the issue, the techique is simply: Boil the rice on high, uncovered, in way more water than most recipes call for, for 30 minutes. (I usually scoop off a bunch of grey scum during this stage). Then you strain it, allow the mass to drain for a few moments, return to the empty pot, cover and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes or so. What results are perfectly cooked grains that don't stick together in a gummy clod, with portions undercooked, like many other cooking methods produce.

FWIW, I sometimes use the described method for making brown rice (I use Masa Organic and Koda brands mostly) and, before cooking, I thoroughly rinse the rice in lots of running water.  I put the rice in a strainer, run water over it while using my hand to stir and mix the grains.  This pretty much eliminates any grey scum, although there are times when some scum forms, and then I just skim it.  Usually the rice needs very little skimming.

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2008 at 11:12 AM, chappie said:

Without fumbling around for the issue, the techique is simply: Boil the rice on high, uncovered, in way more water than most recipes call for, for 30 minutes. (I usually scoop off a bunch of grey scum during this stage). Then you strain it, allow the mass to drain for a few moments, return to the empty pot, cover and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes or so. What results are perfectly cooked grains that don't stick together in a gummy clod, with portions undercooked, like many other cooking methods produce.

FWIW, I sometimes use the described method for making brown rice (I use Masa Organic and Hoda brands mostly) and, before cooking, I thoroughly rinse the rice in lots of running water.  I put the rice in a strainer, run water over it while using my hand to stir and mix the grains.  This pretty much eliminates any grey scum, although there are times when some scum forms, and then I just skim it.  Usually the rice needs very little skimming.