• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need a gift certificate idea

KitchenQueen

Help gang,

I need a gift certificate idea for an exceptional cook. No kitchen equipment, he already has everything.

Something yummy and special.

I'm making a little bag. So far it will include a soon-to-arrive half pound of Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans and a $50.00 to $75.00 gift certificate

for Penzey's spices. We have a local Penzey's, so since there will be no shipping charges, it will buy a bit more.

I have about another $150.00 to play with. I can go a tad more.

I need suggestions. Meat,seafood,veggies, nothing terribly exotic or ethnic, but the quality must be good.

I thought about a lobster-gram, but they can get pretty pricey for what you get.

Then my brain went dead.

He's not a big baker, probably need ideas more for cooking.

The beans are the only thing already purchased, so I can change track if you come up with ideas better than my bland non-existent ones.

Help! :blink:

JimH,

We're also in Houston !

I'm not sure about the sausage link, but the Cajun link shows possibilites.

I know he likes Cajun food .As you know, many Cajun things we can get here, but not all.

I'll be checking it out.

Thanks!

http://www.jrmushroomsandspecialties.com/

This place has a wide variety of qualtiy stuff.  I get mushroms from them.

OK, I'm on a roll. This looks like a wonderful supplier with a good variety he can choose from.

Two replies, and so far, 2 great ideas. Asking here was my best idea yet.

Thanks !! :wub:

Keep 'em coming.

I often use igourmet.com. For any level of cook and have yet to have a complaint - nothing but raves.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

His cooking level is tops. Grew up in an upscale restaurant family.

What he does with lamb would make you cry with joy.

He'd give a great French chef a run for his money in the kitchen,but can still serve a a mean simple chicken salad or bowl of Texas Red. He is not even remotely financially challenged. That's why he's so damned hard to buy for.

I'll check out the igourmet.com.

a bottle of Balsamico Tradizionale...the real stuff 95.00 to 100.00 but its fun to have especially going inot summer with all the fresh fruit coming

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I don't think anyone's mentioned Rancho Gordo yet - mmm, heirloom beans.... I know summer's coming up, but still, what a treat.

Rancho Gordo

Not only delicious but you'd also be supporting a fellow EG'er!

Edited by AnnaC (log)

Okay two more fantastic ideas..

Balsamico Tradizionale ..Never heard of it, don't know where to find it.

A definite possibility. Is it that great? May I leave the price tag on to show how well informed I am? Nevermind.. He'd take one look and know anyway. This is precisely the kind of idea I'm looking for. I want something special.

And then the Rancho Gordo site. He is a genious at Southwestern and Tex-Mex. He'd LOVE those beans. Although I think if I bought him $150.00 worth of beans, he might ..nevermind. It's tacky.

And if he invited me to dinner.

Gawd, a Monty Python skit. From the 14th floor of his condo? In my brain I just heard the song from 'Peter Pan'. I can fly!!!

Hell, anyone who eats this many beans can fly. Sorry. I'm getting goofy. But it was a really funny scenario in my warped little brain. I'm still giggling.

And the thought of the stuffed-shirt concierge in his lobby, hee-hee.

I will definitely check out their site a bit more to see if it offers lots of shopping options. And it benefits an EG'er somehow?

A major plus.

All these ideas are endearing me to this group more than I could ever express.

Thank you very much.

This is the Balsamico...and a brief explanation. The "real" stuff is sold only in that size and shape of bottle. It is tasted by a panel before bottling to make sure it is good enough to be called Tradizionale

Its really good drizzled on strawberries or vanilla icecream, or a nice slice of bread with a chunk of cheese

http://www.amazon.com/Aceto-Balsamico-Trad...11141759&sr=1-1

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks for all the great recommendations.

It was appreciated.

I've decided to top off the vanilla beans and the Penzey's certificate with one from igourmet.

They have such a great variety, I couldn't go wrong. And they sell the balsamic.

My vanilla beans (2 honking pounds, 2 gifts and some for moi) arrived today. To say I'm impressed with the quality is putting it mildly.

This house smells like heaven, even through the vacuum packaging.

I'm surprised the postman didn't drool on the package.

Thanks again ! :wub: