• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Cereal

stellabella

I was served Indian Savory Cereal for breakfast at a yoga retreat this weekend--it was warm and spicy, contained millet, sunflower seeds, onions, tomato, peppers. The consistency was divine, not thick like oatmeal but thinner, like a hearty soup. Topped with yogurt & cayenne powder.

I loved it. It was reheated and served again the next morning and was still delicious.

Does anyone know how to make this?

thank you, suvir.  i am so craving this cereal.  i mean, i could try to make it but i'd be totally guessing.  maybe you could guess for me--you'd be far more likely to get it right than i. :smile:

But my guess would be all wrong..... since I never even tasted it.

I am guessing it is an Upuma you are speaking about.

Do you have any Indian cookbooks? Which ones? Maybe I can help you find a recipe.

Is it possible for you to ask the place where you ate this as to what cereal they are using. That would make it easier for me to start guessing a recipe.

And upuma is usually made with cream of wheat.

Suvir, has, as usual, already contributed anything that I might have been able to add.

As far as I know, upuma is maid with cream of wheat, and the consistency is often adjusted to taste. I personally prefer a consistency that is quite solid--a bit more so than oatmeal, though my grandmother prefers it a bit thinner.

Also, some people prefer to make their upuma with water instead of yogurt, which will also change the flavor. I personally prefer the addition of cashews and raisins, but hey Gujus are known for their sweet teeth :biggrin::laugh:

I have no experience with millet, so I can't comment on posible creations.

Speaking of savory cereal, something that I like to do on occasion is add milk to a bowl of cheevrah (seasoned rice flakes with peanuts raisins etc). I find the combination to be particularly enjoyable.