• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you be a vegetarian and a gourmet?

wgallois

OK, sorry folks, I didn't mean any harm, and I could have kept all that to myself. And sorry Tommy if I've hurt your feelings. But 'afraid' people are saying, why? I was only saying words from the discussion across the way about the sniper, not using my own words: if you don't believe me, then have a look for yourselves, you really should... there's some crazy stuff being said there by some folks, for sure there is!

Bye now,

Doug

Suvir, that's okay. It kind of looks like a gum eraser.

And I though growing up in third world India, I was the only one who knew what an old fashioned gum eraser look like.

Did kids here not have fancier stuff to use?

Trust you to find a silver liningin everything.... :smile:

You are special.

And what have I said to you, young man, about doodling when you should be working???  If you don't apply yourself more to your studies, you'll end up flipping burgers somewhere, you mark my words.  :angry:

Madam Principal, I already did that. Remember when I was still a wet back? That was the only job I found without being looked at funny. :wink:

PS: Time to come clean... Even that job would be easier for a person of lighter coloring than mine to find. I still got looks...... But that is part and parcel of being a wet back... This was still that time when I said "schedule" funny.

And Thomas, how many times have we talked about not bullying the new kids?  Hmmm?  Ever since I came in as your teacher, right?  Don't worry that everyone will eventually find out you're just a pussycat.  They won't think any the less of you for it.

how many times have i told you to go eff yourself? Hmmm?

probably none, but remind me to in the future.

I said I was sorry for not knowing about fennel, and maybe I'm less of a 'gourmet' than I thought I was!

I don't see any reason to apologize for not knowing something. I'd be apologizing 24 hours a day if that were necessary. I think the point is that it might not be such a good idea to disparage something (e.g., vegetarianism) if your knowledge of it is less than perfect. Come to think of it, even if your knowledge is perfect! (Being a gourmet does not mean having nothing left to learn!) It comes off as being quite arrogant, which may not be what you intended. I think macrosan had it right way back in the beginning of this thread when he mentioned the need for smileys (an idea jaybee has drummed repeatedly into my head :biggrin::biggrin: ).