• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you be a vegetarian and a gourmet?

wgallois

what is fennel, I asked my wife but EVEN SHE hasn't heard of THAT one!!

All the imagination I need is to think of coming home to my wife's roast chicken, little sausages and bacon, and a nice dish of boiled carrots ON THE SIDE (!) never mind anything else...

Um, are you serious about the fennel, or am I just gullible? :huh:

Some people have, shall we say, different imaginations than others. I'm certainly no gourmet, but I was indeed a vegetarian for quite some time. I never ate "a nice dish of boiled carrots" in my life -- not on the side, not anywhere! :shock: Enjoy your roast chicken, but you are indeed missing out, IMO.

Hello Tommy,

Sorry, was I out of line going right ahead and asking Mr Blumenthal a question like that? I was just kind of interested in the opinion of a real cook about a thing like this, but you can take my question off his list if you like.

Tell him sorry if I wasted his time!

All best to you,

Doug

By the way, turns out I SHOULD HAVE known about fennel (friend of mine I called told me I was a real fool), but it's true I really didn't before! I'll keep my big mouth shut in future...

But you folks that don't like boiled carrots should give them a chance, way my wife does them, they are DEElicious. (and that's coming from a meat-eater!)

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I've got kind of hooked on this talking about food thing (who'd have thought?)

Doug

Doug, I thought it was perfect that you asked Heston Blumenthal that question. And look! he agreed with some of what you said, and some of what others said. :biggrin:Yes, you can be both; but you'll miss out on some delicious foods.

Why are you surprised that talking about food is such fun?? :wink: Not quite as good as eating or cooking, but so much easier on the waistline.

Hello again to you all!

I'm not sure, but I get just the slighest little suspicion that Tommy might be trying to paytronise me... The way he put gourmet in those little inverted commas, kind of a small thing, but I noticed it. (I said I was sorry for not knowing about fennel, and maybe I'm less of a 'gourmet' than I thought I was! I get your point Tommy! I just haven't met too many knowledgeable folks like you before, and I think most of you good people seem to understand that and be patient). And the little thing about 'socially adjusted', which seemed to be a complaint about me mailing Mr Blumenthal with my question. Funny, Mr Blumenthal himself didn't seem to mind too much, and his answer was real nice in the end, like Suvir said!

And I asked you a question, and you replied with just the letters 'Q.E.D.', probably thinking stupid old Doug, who didn't know what fennel was, wouldn't know what that meant. Well, what you meant was: 'Tommy's just proved his point about Doug being a big old idiot without having to say anything, because Doug's done it himself'. Well, sorry to disagree, Tommy, but what I was saying was 'sorry' for something I didn't know, so I don't see that you've really 'Q.E.D.ed' there at all, do you? What does anyone else think? I have the feeling that Tommy might just be a little bit of what some folks might call a 'snob', no? Suvir seems to know a real lot about food (and so does Mr Blumenthal, of course), and lots of other nice folks on this list do to and they manage to be real friendly and parient with me... (thanks to you all)

So I'm learning from you, Tommy, I really am, but I think you could be a little bit nicer to poor old Doug, don't you?

On another score, though, Tommy and me are in perfect harmony: I have a little thing that from another discussion going on on egullet about that crazy Washington sniper:

'if the guy receives a bullet to each knee, and 1 to the groin, 'accidently' upon capture, i'll be thrilled.'

This was Tommy talking about that wicked man, and I couldn't agree more! He also said something that I've said a thousand times before: it's the PERSON who shoots someone, NOT the gun! These fools trying to ban guns are just barking up the wrong old tree.

Nice point, Tommy. I like your politics, my friend, if only you could be a bit more patient with me over my knowning about food, I'm sure we could get along just fine.

All good wishes to you.

Doug

Doug, no worries.

tommy's a good guy. But if you ever find that you're having a bit of a tiff with him or anyone, just send them a PM to check it out to avoid leaving too much personal chaff around the site. That way one doesn't run into something one now finds a tad embarassing a few months later.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Doug, no worries.

tommy's a good guy. But if you ever find that you're having a bit of a tiff with him or anyone, just send them a PM to check it out to avoid leaving too much personal chaff around the site. That way one doesn't run into something one now finds a tad embarassing a few months later.

Sage advice from a kind person. Could not agree with you more Jinmyo. :smile:

Now, boys! This is your schoolmarm talking to you:

Douglas, we understand that you're new here, and there is always a period of adjustment as you get to know your classmates, and they you. Just remember we're all here to have fun learn, so cool your jets.

And Thomas, how many times have we talked about not bullying the new kids? Hmmm? Ever since I came in as your teacher, right? Don't worry that everyone will eventually find out you're just a pussycat. They won't think any the less of you for it.

Okay, boys, you can go back to your workbooks now. But if I catch you fighting again, you're BOTH going straight to the principal. :angry:

Sorry about that bad post above.

I had created this attractive design using spacing and creating what looked like the nib of a fountain pen that a principal would use... All by using the word Afraid... and spacing it differently in each line... It looked great... but only until I posted it..

And now.. I look like a loser...

Sorry!

Was trying to be smart.... :unsure:

Suvir, that's okay. It kind of looks like a gum eraser.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM