• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pound cake caramel topping

iii_bake

I have a cake recipe called Coffee Raisin... It is a coffee flavoured pound cake with raisin...The cake is vey moist with butter scotch flavour here n there.

Recipe calls for : brown sugar 1 cup scant, butter 7 TBSP and Flour 4 TBSP.

Cream the butter, add the sugar and then flour....then sprinkle on top of the cake.

Have anyone seen or worked with such a topping before..it is too less flour to be struesel, isn't it?

I made this twice already and the topping sunk down together with all the raisins...

I tried this at the balery and it is so delicious.

I need advice, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

iii

Why don't you try adding the topping midway through baking, after the poundcake has formed a skin?

I'm still not quite clear though......is your cake sinking in the middle whether the streusel is on it or not?

Edited by chefpeon (log)

How are you putting it on the batter? Do you sprinkle on a thin line down the center or all over the top or? I find that I often don't use all the struesel topping that a recipe calls for, (at least half to three quarters, but not all of it entirely)maybe if you add just half the next time you bake it it might not sink into the cake?

Any chance that the flour and butter measurements got reversed?

thanks for your responses:

Analyse this....please :smile:

Pound Cake Base:

Flour 135 g

baking powder 1t

salt 1/2 t

butter 100 g

sugar 120 g

egg 2

milk 100 ml

espresso powder 2t

Chopped raisins 1C

Topping: Brown Sugar 150 g Butter 75 gm Flour 4T

According to the recipe...the topping is suppose to be sprinkle on top before baking.

The cake will have the gooey caramel lightly on top, a part of it seeps into the cake itself.

I tried putting the topping half way thru...the caramel is then stick on the top ...cannot seep thru.

All my raisins sunk to the bottom...i floured the raisins and chopped into small pieces

I thought...it was the caramel that brought the floured raisins down to the bottom with it...but even with the topping put half way thru...the raisins still sunk!!!!

The finished cake should be moist and a bit gooey.

I made it thre times....the batter curdle twice, came out perfect once...but the caramel n raisins things did not work out.

what might have i done wrong?????

SOS

( I wish you can try this...it is extremely delicious!)

iii

if you want caramel on top with a little sinking through, why not make caramel(carmelized sugar, butter, cream, salt) and bake the cake separately and when the cake comes out of the oven, schmeer it with caramel. the warm cake will melt the caramel and some of it will likely sink in, and some will remain on the top...

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

if you want caramel on top with a little sinking through, why not make caramel(carmelized sugar, butter, cream, salt) and bake the cake separately and when the cake comes out of the oven, schmeer it with caramel. the warm cake will melt the caramel and some of it will likely sink in, and some will remain on the top...

I made someting like you suggested ( got the idea from the irish coffee cake)...but the reasule is not exactly the same though.

Thank you for advice, if i cannot manage to get this done nicely...i will have to pour the caramel at the end ...thanks again