• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richard Bertinet Sweet Dough

iii_bake

His book is really good, there are some pretty good ones bread books out there, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I learned a lot and found the short video very helpful. Rarely use my KA for bread anymore.

At the French Pastry School, chef Dendauw taught us how to make brioche using the "slapping" technique and also in the kitchen aid mixer. The results were identical. I got so slap-happy that I lost track of time in class, but I would guess it took around 30-40 minutes.

There were a couple of differences from the technique in this video though. We used a motion where you grab some of the dough, stretch it towards you, then cut it with a scraper. This was to cut the gluten chains and not develop too much gluten (I think). About halfway through the mixing, when the dough came together some, we added the butter (instead of at the beginning as in the video) and after that, used just the slapping motion until the dough was fully mixed.

Edited by ihatenougat (log)