• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Participating in local chocolate fest:

mpshort

I have been hoodwinked into participating in our local chocolate festival again. :wacko:

The festival consists of several dozen restaurants, farms, resort pastry chefs producing sweet as well as savory chocolate items. We are each asked to produce 500- 1000 pieces. There will be a judged competition (the judges are usually local, well known chefs) and a people's choice competition. The overwhelming critieria is the quality and strength of/potency of chocolate flavor. There are also points for presentation. The resort chefs usually do a mini-plated dessert. The winning entry last year was exquisite molded chocolates. The year before that a 7th grader won with a "Chocolate Shot" drink.

I own a small bakery/cafe; we do panini sandwiches, salads etc.. as well as almost three dozen sweet items.

Here is what I'm leaning toward:

Chocoate Panini : chocolate brioche, schmear of caramel sauce, semi-sweet chocolate pistoles, grilled w/butter panini style topped w/a squiggle of vanilla creme and a sprinkle of finely crushed mac nut brittle.

OR

"Oreo" bar: three different flavored mini oreos (vanilla (traditional), espresso, chocolate) served w/ ice cold milk ( I have these really cute white ceramic beverage dispensers :biggrin: )

The oreos are tremendously popular at the shop but I am SO OVER them!

on the other hand I don't actually sell the chocolate panini at the shop.....

OK, so which one?

TIA!

The Chocolate Panini sounds amazing. I'd go with that one. Do you have a photo of it you can post?

The chocolate panini does sound good, but I'd like it to have a Kona coffee/espresso flavor element. That would make it regional, too!

As a chef, I'd want the panini because there's so much going on in it and it sounds wonderful.

But you already know the people's choice is the oreos.... :biggrin: I like the idea of the tropical flavors. What about a plain oreo with passionfruit filling?

So it depends on what you're after :wink:

As a chef, I'd want the panini because there's so much going on in it and it sounds wonderful.

But you already know the people's choice is the oreos.... 

:biggrin:  I like the idea of the tropical flavors.  What about a plain oreo with passionfruit filling?

So it depends on what you're after  :wink:

You would most likely win with the 'Oreos' ...as well as passionfruit filling, you could do coconut, (either as the cookie or the filling), pina colada, guava, Kona coffee fillings.....

Well I guess it's all who you want to please.

I would think "Peoples Choice" would like the oreos,

and the "Judging Chefs" would like the panini.

As a chef, I vote for the panini because it sounds good.......

and interesting! But as a "people", I do love Oreos and a cold glass of milk. But I'll stick with

the panini vote.

If you ever want to share your recipe for chocolate brioche.....(hint hint)...... :laugh:

Thanks for the input everyone! I've decided to go with the oreo bar :-) The title of my entry: "Milk and cookies: a mini 'oreo' bar". I'll post photos of the event.