• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking with Coca Cola?

nyc

I've been challenged to create a cake or cookies using coca cola.

So far, all I've been able to find is the traditional Southern cake version (with miniature marshmallows), which seems a bit over the top.

I think a cookie version would be very cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Neal

Depends on how adventurous you're thinking. I would check out THIS challenge issued to Mette who used and deconstructed desserts from beer.

The other fun idea that I'm thinking about is how you could re-build coke with aeration for the bubbles. Or put something in the re-cycled coke that would have fun with bubbles - like boba tea.

And is cherry coke fair game? Do they even make it anymore?

I'm working on a rootbeer dessert that found recipes which helped me break down the flavors. You could do the same and make components that when eaten together created coke.

I've been challenged to create a cake or cookies using coca cola.

So far, all I've been able to find is the traditional Southern cake version (with miniature marshmallows), which seems a bit over the top.

I think a cookie version would be very cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Neal

Is the Southern version you mention the deep fried cake. Is that the county fair one that was posted awhile ago as "deep fried coke" or something like that, I did a quick search for the thread, but couldn't find it - but it's out there somewhere.....just lurking and waiting for the unwary.

i made a coca cola cake, which was interesting that you baked it with mini-marshmallows, which sort of floated to the top to create the semi-bubbly texture of coca cola. But there was very little coca cola flavor...the frosting was cocoa/powdered sugar mixed with coke...but still not enough cola flavor.

I do have a little vial of cola extract...you can buy it at beer making supply shops. But I haven't added it...If you're trying to make cookies, you're going to run into a texture issue because you don't usually add too much liquid to cookies...I say using the cola extract in something like a snickerdoodle type crunchewy cookie and mixing in some mini-marshmallows seems like it would give a good approximation. Also, a big part of coca cola flavor is caramel color, which is super easy to make by just burning some sugar straight, then diluting it so it can be poured.

MMM. you know what would be interesting with the whole root beer thing, is some sort of approximation of a root beer float :)

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I took a red velvet cake mix and cream cheese icing and made cupcakes with red bull energy drink. All I did was use red bull in place of the buttermilk the recipe called for and increased by some the amount of butter to compensate for the fat missing in the buttermilk. I don't think I will do that again simply due to the red food dye was a bit much for me, but the people who ate it loved it! I could imagine something simular would work with chocolate cake.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Here is a recipe from a 1971 Texas newspaper.

Coca-Cola Cake

2 c. flour

2 cups sugar

2 sticks oleo

1 c. coke

3 t. cocoa

1 c. buttermilk

2 eggs, unbeaten

1 t. soda

1 t. vanilla

1 ½ c. miniature marshmallows

Put flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Combine oleo, coke and cocoa in sauce pan and heat to boiling. Pour over flour and sugar and mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake in a flat pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

Icing.

½ c. oleo

3 T. cocoa

6 T. coke

¾ box powdered sugar.

Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Pour over powdered sugar and spread over hot cake.

[Those of us 'elsewhere', where 'oleo' is a mystery, and a 'stick' as a measurement an even greater mystery, will have to improvise. About 250 gm of butter will do ??????]

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Hahaha, yeah. I know what you mean. Yeah, 225g butter/shortening, and 110g for the icing. The "3/4 box" powdered sugar is irritatingly vague though. I suppose that means 3/4 of 450g.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Here is a recipe from a 1971 Texas newspaper.

Coca-Cola Cake

2 c. flour

2 cups sugar

2 sticks oleo

1 c. coke

3 t. cocoa

1 c. buttermilk

2 eggs, unbeaten

1 t. soda

1 t. vanilla

1 ½ c. miniature marshmallows

Put flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Combine oleo, coke and cocoa in sauce pan and heat to boiling. Pour over flour and sugar and mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake in a flat pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

Icing.

½ c. oleo

3 T. cocoa

6 T. coke

¾ box powdered sugar.

Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Pour over powdered sugar and spread over hot cake.

[Those of us 'elsewhere', where 'oleo' is a mystery, and a 'stick' as a measurement an even greater mystery, will have to improvise. About 250 gm of butter will do ??????]

Oleo is margarine( i have a few old church cookbooks that call for that) and a stick is half a cup or 4 oz, or 1/4lb. There are usually 4 sticks to 1lb of butter. I love measuring in sticks, but in Canada, its 2 dollars more to buy a package with 4 sticks rather than a big solid hunk of butter.