• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proper Pours for drinks

PAYAL SHARMA

I was wondering how many ounces go in different types of drinks. For example

-neat

1 or 2 oz

-on the rocks

1 or 3 oz

-martini

2oz of Vodka or Gin maybe 1/2oz of liquer

-mixed drinks (cocktails)

1 to 1 1/2 oz

-cordials

I am trying to control my liquor cost so any comments and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I was wondering how many ounces go in different types of drinks. For example

-neat

-on the rocks

-martini

-mixed drinks (cocktails)

-cordials

I am trying to control my liquor cost so any comments and tips would be greatly appreciated!

There is no pat answer for this question. There are a few questions you need to ask yourself.

1. The type of bar

2. The style of drinks served/size of glass

3. Rent (that should be first)

4. Ancillary ingredients

5. Promos.

There are too many variables to give you a profitable answer to that question. To create a beverage program that makes sense is almost as hard as creating a restaurant that makes money.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

There is a standard spec (flavor profile) for cocktails, highballs, mixed drinks, up drinks, shots, and on the rocks, but it is different where you are pouring.

And there is balance but that differs as well. The key is making the best drink for your customer, with value incorperated, that sustains the establishment as long as possible.

Opening a bar is like juggling 14 chainsaws, 3 bowling balls, 17 kittens, 2 bottles of rum on fire, and a tennis ball while running across a marsh seething with piranhas, using only the heads of crocodiles as stepping stones while being chased by an angry mob of vengeful visgoths, tattooed repo men and a couple of IRS agents. Then you have everything under control.

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Opening a bar is like juggling 14 chainsaws, 3 bowling balls, 17 kittens, 2 bottles of rum on fire, and a tennis ball while running across a marsh seething with piranhas, using only the heads of crocodiles as stepping stones while being chased by an angry mob of vengeful visgoths, tattooed repo men and a couple of IRS agents. Then you have everything under control.

I worry about those kittens....

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

The kitten's will make it, I'm worried that the rum is going to burn off before I get to drink any.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, now I have to dry the iced tea from my keyboard. This was hands down the funniest thing I've read all day.

Cheers,

Marshall

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den