• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any advice for my brother before his tryout?

Graphix

my little brother is doing his tryout for Eleven Madison Park tonight, it will be for an externship for CIA. Anyone have any words of advice before he goes? I'll tell you though, im just really excited for him, id love for him to have the opportunity to work at a restaurant of that caliber. hope he does well.

Brendan

I remeber that - cooking while still a CIA student - I remember I needed to loosen up. Breathe! I was so tight I could not swallow. Good Luck - think - If you get a mystery basket - DO NOT DO A CIA PRACTICAL. I went for a group cooking tryout after graduation - and they had the full time job seekers in with the externs tryouts and they got picked on...so be creative.

CIA is not looked at highly by some people. Humble be humble. A CIA degree or where you are at now in the blocks does not make you a know it all. That is what I have faced since I have been out. Rocco was an idiot to be so arrogant, bliliant, but arrogant. If I were to sum up my degree it would be that the CIA showed me how to do things the black and white way, they showed me that fine details and moving towards perfection is what we are all about, why things happen and don't happen, not just cooking it and throwing it on a plate. While other schools are great too...remember fine details do matter, knife skills are very important, and it does believe it or not it has to taste good, SEASON it! Knock em dead! and if it doesn't happen - chalk one up to experience - you will know what to do next time somewhere else!