• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I found a 3 lb "boneless shoulder roast" in my freezer, and I think I'm going to corn it.  It's late, but I've been out of town and, what the heck, better late than never.  I've never corned beef before; always bought it prepared.  

When I'm brining pork or turkey, I will usually put the meat into the brine frozen, and let it thaw in the brine.  But no one would consider my brines technically correct by any measure . . .

I'm planning to use a real corn recipe; but is there any reason not to start with frozen meat when corning beef? 

Assuming it's ok -- maybe add a day or two?

On Edit:  Nevermind.  I'm just going to thaw it.  

SLB

SLB

I found a 3 lb "boneless shoulder roast" in my freezer, and I think I'm going to corn it.  It's late, but I've been out of town and, what the heck, better late than never.  I've never corned beef before; always bought it prepared.  

When I'm brining pork or turkey, I will usually put the meat into the brine frozen, and let it thaw in the brine.  But no one would consider my brines technically correct by any measure . . .

I'm planning to use a real corn recipe; but is there any reason not to start with frozen meat when corning beef? 

SLB

SLB

I found a 3 lb "boneless shoulder roast" in my freezer, and I think I'm going to corn it.  I've never corned beef before; always bought it prepared.