• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

22 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm not going to start rethinking it yet again but in the interest of knowledge and for future reference, can it be too lean if you're going to cook it sous vide? The reason I'm asking is, I'm not a fatty meat person. I'm one of those finicky pains in the arse that will waste some of the meat to avoid a hunk of fat. Even high quality, nicely seasoned and cooked fat. When I buy deli pastrami or corned beef or even just roast beef at the grocery store, I've been known to trim out some of the slices before making a sandwich if I consider it too fatty. Yes, I am that bad. So is there a downside to a really lean cut for this purpose if it's going to be cooked in a manner that eliminates the risk of overcooking and drying it out?

I too, trim excess fat off of corned beef and avoid the point cut because I think it is just too fatty. I tried to corn an eye round one time and it was a complete failure and I think it was because it was just too lean. It fell apart instead of slicing. I did not SV it, and your results may be fine. I'll be interested to read about the outcome.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

18 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm not going to start rethinking it yet again but in the interest of knowledge and for future reference, can it be too lean if you're going to cook it sous vide? The reason I'm asking is, I'm not a fatty meat person. I'm one of those finicky pains in the arse that will waste some of the meat to avoid a hunk of fat. Even high quality, nicely seasoned and cooked fat. When I buy deli pastrami or corned beef or even just roast beef at the grocery store, I've been known to trim out some of the slices before making a sandwich if I consider it too fatty. Yes, I am that bad. So is there a downside to a really lean cut for this purpose if it's going to be cooked in a manner that eliminates the risk of overcooking and drying it out?

I too, trim excess fat off of corned beef and avoid the point cut because I think it is just too fatty. I tried to corn an eye round one time and it was a complete failure and I think it was because it was just too lean. It fell apart instead of slicing. I did not SV it, and your results may be fine. I'll be interested to read about the results.

HC