• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serving visiting Americans appetizers they cannot

John Talbott

Results of the consumption of my hunting/gathering for 7 persons (6 American, 1 French):

Provence Olives from Les Galeries Lafayette - almost all gone.

Foie gras from my street guy (that my French guest wanted to know the origin of) with Eric Kayser bread - ditto.

Mini-Vacherin Mont D'or from Galeries Lafayette with Lu crackers and apple slices - 2/3's left (apple gone)

Caviar d'Aubergines (Mavrommatis) and blinis (traiteur on my street) - enough for one more "cocktail" left

Rilettes d'oie (with Poilane bread) from the Rue Mouffetard - hardly touched

Apericubes - 80% left

This is my second "failure" with apericubes.

Thanks all for your advice - BTW they were invited for a "cocktail" 18h30-19h30 - but the last person departed at 22h00.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

How could they ignore the rilettes while scarfing the foie gras.

Power of advertising I guess? Foie gras is "in"!

Given the time they stayed I'd also guess they made a serious dent in the booze?

How could they ignore the rilettes  while scarfing the foie gras.

Power of advertising I guess?  Foie gras is "in"!

Given the time they stayed I'd also guess they made a serious dent in the booze?

Interesting addendum. I just retasted the rilettes and they're not that great. Hummmm, maybe my friends are decent judges.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris