• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast Pork Italiano..

Jeff L

Philadelphia Inquirer reports Tony Luke's plans to roll out a whole line of his products nationwide including steaks, roast pork, broccoli rabe and rolls into supermarkets, home shopping TV and an online store.

I'm not too sure how a frozen roast pork will be but I guess if I couldn't easily get the real thing, I'd try one. He's working with Rastelli Foods on the launch.

The article goes on to mention his plans for more shops including a new one in NYC to replace the one that apparently failed.

Philadelphia Inquirer reports Tony Luke's plans to roll out a whole line of his products nationwide including steaks, roast pork, broccoli rabe and rolls into supermarkets, home shopping TV and an online store.

I'm not too sure how a frozen roast pork will be but I guess if I couldn't easily get the real thing, I'd try one. He's working with Rastelli Foods on the launch.

The article goes on to mention his plans for more shops including a new one in NYC to replace the one that apparently failed.

There is a new TL on route 33 near Robbinsville NJ.

Don't know about frozen rpi. Like frozen white castle sliders I think it would be an inferior experience from the original.

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

like frozen white castle: inferior, yet strangely satisfying? and therefore definitely worth producing?

i agree.

the real question is how many more shops is tony luke's going to open and have to close before he realizes that setup just isn't going to work for him?

Like frozen white castle sliders I think it would be an inferior experience from the original.

This is a bit off-topic, but you are too quick to disparage frozen white castles. They are amazingly similar to the real thing. Not identical, but very, very close.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Like frozen white castle sliders I think it would be an inferior experience from the original.

This is a bit off-topic, but you are too quick to disparage frozen white castles. They are amazingly similar to the real thing. Not identical, but very, very close.

Also off topic. I wonder with this national roll out that is why Tony covets the spot in Reading Terminal.... or is that a moot issue now?

Also off topic. I wonder with this national roll out that is why Tony covets the spot in Reading Terminal.... or is that a moot issue now?

Can't imagine how putting the name on supermarket version connects with TL's previous desire to add RTM outpost. In any event, the "mootness" has yet to be determined, pending outcome of the scheduled June trial (or earlier settlement) in the court case between Rick's Steaks and the RTM.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Can't imagine how putting the name on supermarket version connects with TL's previous desire to add RTM outpost. In any event, the "mootness" has yet to be determined, pending outcome of the scheduled June trial (or earlier settlement) in the court case between Rick's Steaks and the RTM.

Clearly Tony Luke is trying to create a brand name nationwide, including opening more stores, starting a line of frozen foods, so having a location in the Reading Terminal, one of the most prominent tourist icons in Philadelphia would play into their ability to ge their name out. They are currently advertizing on the radio about their frozen foods and their additional stores, so it would seem logical they want to maximize their publicity push.

I also wonder if the Nutter administration might intervene by reconstituting the board for the RTM.

Tony Luke's plans to roll out a whole line of his products nationwide including steaks, roast pork, broccoli rabe and rolls into supermarkets, home shopping TV and an online store.

It's difficult for me to greet this news optimistically. Roast pork with sharp prov and rabe...how can you do that without adding a ton of preservatives or making the product too expensive for the targeted market?

Some days I'd give anything for a real muffaletta or my mom's crabcakes, but I wouldn't be tempted for a minute if either of these things showed up in the freezer case at Acme.

(From what I know about White Castle, the sliders seem like a product better-suited to being frozen -- they're steamed burgers, right?)

I have to agree with you on this. It's really hard for me to imagine what a microwaved roast pork sandwich would taste like. But as I said in my original post, if I had no means to get the real one or had never tried the real deal, I might be tempted to try a frozen one.