• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The (temporary) return of "A Cook's Tour"

PDC

I saw an ad last night that stated it is back full time.

That's really lame. yeah, I know, they own it and it's their rights, blah, blah, blah, but . . . just a shady move on their part. They'd still have him if they hadn't chased him off or wanted him hosting people's backyard barbecues.

Then again, on the plus side, hopefully I'll get to read Tony's thoughts on this pretty soon once he gets wind of it . . .

....and here are his complete thoughts and then some

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here is January:

Let's Get Lost January 08, 2008 10:30 PM ET/PT January 09, 2008 1:30 AM ET/PT

Tony Bourdain tries to get lost in Chiang Mai, Thailand. His journey entails an impromptu elephant ride through the jungle, amazing meals with a wonderful Thai family on a farm, taking in some kick-boxing, and trying out the traditional Thai massage.

Cobra Heart-Food That Makes You Manly January 15, 2008 10:30 PM ET/PT January 16, 2008 1:30 AM ET/PT

In Ho Chi Minh, Tony tries the famous fetal duck egg for breakfast-even the feathers! Gathering nerve, he tries a cafe that serves "flavors of the forest," like cobra heart and blood, a delicacy supposed to "make you a man."

Puebla, Where the Good Cooks Are From January 22, 2008 10:30 PM ET/PT January 23, 2008 1:30 AM ET/PT

Tony's favorite cooks come from this town in Mexico, so he wants to see why. His sous chef Eddy invites him to his house for a huge bash featuring homecooked mole, toasted ant eggs, fried worms and the infamous pilque.

The BBQ Triangle January 29, 2008 10:30 PM ET/PT January 30, 2008 1:30 AM ET/PT

Kansas City, Houston and North Carolina are locked in a BBQ Battle to the death. Secret sauces, wood pits, slow smokers...there's no end to how to prepare your ribs, "Burnt ends" and brisket. Don't watch if you don't want to get dirty!

Watching ACT last night reminded me of how much of a better show ACT was than NR is. I think only having a half hour kept Tony away from doing too much of the shtick that drags down NR.

Don't get me wrong, NR is a solid show, but as so many of you said on the Holiday Special thread the scripted comedy bits are, well, let's just say not good. 

After watching last night's "Let's Get Lost" episode, I totally agree. I love NR, but the unpolished vibe of ACT is refreshing. Plus, after watching the evolution of Tony's shows over the past few years, it's fun to go back and read between the lines on his earlier stuff.........for example, did anyone else laugh at the inner dialogue that must have been going on in his head when he had to pretend he was just "popping in" on that family dinner? I could be wrong about that, but after all of his comments about putting dead fish on a hook to make good TV in the past year or so, I'm always looking for the staged aspects of the show.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011