• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a sauce idea...

CdnLifeguard

Making dinner the other day, I did a chicken breast stuffed with mushrooms, a bit of onion, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary and basil. I wrapped it with prosciutto and then roasted it off in the oven.

Came out really good, but it needs a sauce. As its a roasted chicken breast, there really isn't any juices aside from a bit of fat from the prosciutto so there really isn't anything to work with.

I was hoping all you eGulleter's can give me some ideas on a good sauce idea to go along with this main.

If it matters, as a startch, I will mostly use either mashed or roasted potatos.

Thanks so much,

Shane

Making dinner the other day, I did a chicken breast stuffed with mushrooms, a bit of onion, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary and basil. I wrapped it with prosciutto and then roasted it off in the oven.

Came out really good, but it needs a sauce. As its a roasted chicken breast, there really isn't any juices aside from a bit of fat from the prosciutto so there really isn't anything to work with.

I was hoping all you eGulleter's can give me some ideas on a good sauce idea to go along with this main.

If it matters, as a startch, I will mostly use either mashed or roasted potatos.

Thanks so much,

Shane

Pretty strong mix of herbs for chicken. You may want to consider a puree of veg. like parsnip, canellini beans or fava beans as a sauce served as a bed for the chicken. You can try a white wine beurre blanc or a hollandaise-one of the 5 mother sauces of Escoffier's- or beef jus. These sauces are similar to mother sauces and will play well with those strong flavoured herbs.

Next time I'd roast off a bit of garlic in the pan with the chicken, then while the chicken is resting, deglaze with some white wine, reduce a bit, and add a bit of heavy cream. You could add a wee bit of tomato puree too.

You've got a lot going on, herb-wise, so I'd keep it mellow. I wouldn't do an acidic sauce with this, not at all.

Sound delicious. I think that an Italian salsa verde - a sort of puree of blanched parsley with garlic, lemon rind, olive oil, capers and chopped hard-boiled egg would add brighness and intensity to your dish, and balance the richness.

I was thinking along the lines of butter in a saucepan with some capers, brown the butter and capers a bit, then a splash of white wine. It's a basic sauce for chicken, but can't remember the name of it right now.

Also an italian salsa might go well. Chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe some fresh onions, a bit of basil.