• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refractometer- looking to buy one

ChristopherMichael

I'm looking at buying a refractometer and was wondering if anybody owns one. Could you post a small review of which one you have and what brix range you usually work in. Chefrubber sells them anywhere from $135 to $400 and before I spend that kind of money I was hoping to here from people that own one and what they think.

Mine doesn't have any identifying marks on it. I got the hospital lab to order it in for me from their supply catalogue. It goes from 48 to 84 Brix.

I see lots of similar ones on E-bay - look for the ones for honey.

I use it for pates de fruit and for the sugar syrup for panning jelly beans.

EBay often has good deals on refractometers. I bought one for less than $100 that runs the scale from 0-80 Brix. I mainly use this to measure sugar in fruit pulp and puree. I also have a more expensive one I bought through Previn in Philadelphia. It's made by Atago and has a range from 58-90 Brix. This we use for our pate de fruit.

When using a refractometer be very careful how you clean the surface of the glass receptor. It can easily be scratched, and then it won't give accurate readings. You also should calibrate them from time to time. Because the EBay unit goes down to 0 Brix, you can use distilled water to set the zero point. The Atago requires a special solution that is surprisingly expensive.

I swear by these things for accuracy in confectionery work. Good luck.

Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

Mine doesn't have any identifying marks on it.  I got the hospital lab to order it in for me from their supply catalogue.  It goes from 48 to 84 Brix.

I see lots of similar ones on E-bay  - look for the ones for honey.

Which end of the range is most important to be able to capture?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Mine doesn't have any identifying marks on it.  I got the hospital lab to order it in for me from their supply catalogue.  It goes from 48 to 84 Brix.

I'd say the high end for the pates de fruit.

I'd say the high end for the pates de fruit.

Yep, you're looking for about 75 brix for pates de fruits.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks everyone. I do have one more question. When you use one of those meters with the viewer, is it hard to read what the brix is? Does it give you a number or color? Chefrubber has an automatic one that gives you a digital readout. Is it worth the extra cash for the digital readout or is it very easy to use the one with the viewer? I want something that is very easy to use, because I don't want anyone making mistakes and costing me money if they read the reading wrong.

Thanks everyone. I do have one more question. When you use one of those meters with the viewer, is it hard to read what the brix is? Does it give you a number or color? Chefrubber has an automatic one that gives you a digital readout. Is it worth the extra cash for the digital readout or is it very easy to use the one with the viewer? I want something that is very easy to use, because I don't want anyone making mistakes and costing me money if they read the reading wrong.

Chef Rubber Refractometers

That's pretty cool, having a digital readout. Not sure it's worth the extra bucks.

I have a Sper Scientific that I bought from jbprince. It's a nice piece of equipment but I do have to fiddle with the light a bit to get a good reading. Mine allows you to flip it so that you can read high and low brix ranges.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I recently bought a Misco Palm Abbe from Coolant Consultants. It's a digital model that goes from 0-56 Brix, and costs a little less than $300. I've been using it for adapting sorbet and ice cream recipes to the Pacojet.

Generally, it's been great. It's dead simple to use, and seems quite accurate (or at least consistent). There have been a couple times when when I've maxed out the scale trying to measure very thick syrups, but it's been fine for all finished products.

The only potential weakness (other than cost) has been temperature stability. While it does do automatic temperature compensation, if you are starting with a frozen substance you often have to wait 60-90 seconds for it to melt completely.

I don't have much experience with the manual meters, but my impression is that if you need something that can be read by an employee with minimal training, digital is the way to go.