• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heating Cured Ham

snowangel

When I was at the meat market today, I bought a ham (bone in; meat market smoked; 9.5 pounds) to take this weekend to S. MN for our pheasant hunting expedition.

So, what's the best way to reheat this? How low or high a temp for how long? I know that this meat is fully cooked, but what's the idea internal temp for eating?

I want to avoid what my SIL did this past Easter -- produce Ham Floss. Think a spiral cut ham (mine isn't), cooked at 375 for 4 hours and then "seared" at 425 for 1 hour "for a nice crust."

I don't want to add any additional flavourings to this ham -- it is perfect on it's own.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I just bought a couple of these as well. I'd remove the skin, if there's a nice fat cap underneath so the fat has a chance to crisp.

Like this

gallery_6080_205_16018.jpg

gallery_6080_205_65874.jpg

Oven 325 to an internal heat of 140. Most recipes say oven should be at 350. I find that tends to dry them out. Should take a couple of hours. A glaze is always nice at the end, but you don't have to. Oh, and lining the bottom of your roasting pan with tin foil is always a good idea when doing ham. :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.