• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for homemade recipe for Chai Tea Cake

tanyacakes.com

Greetings,

Looking for something like a white/yellow cake recipe made with a strong black tea for liquids and spices which emulate chai tea. I describe this criteria because it seems like this is the re-occurring pattern in chai tea cake recipes. I have googled for this recipe but was wondering if anyone has actually had good/great results from any particular one.

Or if someone has a chocolate cake recipe modified for Chocolate Chai Tea Cake, that would work also.

thanks in advance for any positive/helpful responses.

Tanya, cake lady

Rochester, NY

Greetings,

Looking for something like a white/yellow cake recipe made with a strong black tea for liquids and spices which emulate chai tea.  I describe this criteria because it seems like this is the re-occurring pattern in chai tea cake recipes.  I have googled for this recipe but was wondering if anyone has actually had good/great results from any particular one.

Or if someone has a chocolate cake recipe modified for Chocolate Chai Tea Cake, that would work also.

thanks in advance for any positive/helpful  responses.

The chocolate cake recipe I use calls for 1 cup of boiling water and I've often substituted the water with strong hot coffee. You could probably do the same with black tea. I've also made a pound cake recipe that calls for whole milk and substituted a combination of whole milk and Tazo chai tea latte concentrate.

Greetings,

Looking for something like a white/yellow cake recipe made with a strong black tea for liquids and spices which emulate chai tea.  I describe this criteria because it seems like this is the re-occurring pattern in chai tea cake recipes.   I have googled for this recipe but was wondering if anyone has actually had good/great results from any particular one.

The chocolate cake recipe I use calls for 1 cup of boiling water and I've often substituted the water with strong hot coffee. You could probably do the same with black tea. I've also made a pound cake recipe that calls for whole milk and substituted a combination of whole milk and Tazo chai tea latte concentrate.

I second that suggestion. Although I haven't made a Chai Tea cake, I've made tons of great tasting tea infused ganaches. All you do is take whatever liquid the recipe calls for and steep tea in it before you mix it in with the other ingredients. Make sure to get the liquid back to the temp the recipe calls for before adding it in. You will need to experiment with how much tea to use in the recipe based on how strong you want the tea flavor to come out in the dish and how strong the other flavors are. Hope this helps. Lets see the finished product when its done!!

Greetings,

Looking for something like a white/yellow cake recipe made with a strong black tea for liquids and spices which emulate chai tea.  I describe this criteria because it seems like this is the re-occurring pattern in chai tea cake recipes.   I have googled for this recipe but was wondering if anyone has actually had good/great results from any particular one.

I second that suggestion. Although I haven't made a Chai Tea cake, I've made tons of great tasting tea infused ganaches. All you do is take whatever liquid the recipe calls for and steep tea in it before you mix it in with the other ingredients. Make sure to get the liquid back to the temp the recipe calls for before adding it in. You will need to experiment with how much tea to use in the recipe based on how strong you want the tea flavor to come out in the dish and how strong the other flavors are. Hope this helps. Lets see the finished product when its done!!

thank you all for your responses thus far. The main problem I have had thus far with experimenting is the end result ends up tasting like a spice cake and not chai tea. This is with regards to the spices. If someone has perfected the ratio and selections of spices to get a baked product, in this case a cake, to taste like chai tea, that would get me further along my experimenting! I will be glad to share whatever I can after I get a good result - pictures and/or recipes.

Tanya, cake lady

Rochester, NY

You may have already tried this but if not....could you grind up some chai tea spices like you would buy from Watkins http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail...ECredit=081200N and use that to spice the cake or could you heat up the milk and infuse it with the chai mix?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

You may have already tried this but if not....could you grind up some chai tea spices like you would buy from Watkins http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail...ECredit=081200N and use that to spice the cake or could you heat up the milk and infuse it with the chai mix?

I just called the phone number on the website and the salesman' answering machine came on and I left a message. I am a gambler and it looks like it is worth a try....

Tanya, cake lady

Rochester, NY

I just called the phone number on the website and the salesman' answering machine came on and I left a message. I am a gambler and it looks like it is worth a try....

If you lived a bit closer I'd mail you some but it would probably take 3 weeks to get to you. :blink: As a disclaimer, I'm not a Watkins rep. I just happened to have some Chai tea given to me.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden