• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jerky: The Topic

bunny

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@YvetteMT

do you confit the legs ?

have no idea what C.G.  fat tastes like.

@rotuts no. Legs are pressure cooked. They typically become enchiladas or are mixed with gravy and used over potatoes, or pasta. 

Their fat can be quite strong and unpleasant depending on their diet. If they've been living in the crops of the Midwest, it'll be yellow and not horrible.

• Like 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Mise- not pictured are water and Worchestershire sauce. (Diamond Crystal kosher salt, Prague#1, garlic powder, thyme/poultry seasoning, cayenne, mushroom powder, light brown sugar)

20240615_101532.thumb.jpg.3e5dc5d8033510a3001990f78d28cda6.jpg

Could have used a smaller cambro but this gives some room. I'll mix this up a couple times before drying. 

20240615_102308.thumb.jpg.2c54b82d9b06dbc1f1445ef6d335aa0b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So 8 hours in the dehydrator and this will get packed into food saver bags (in serving-ish amounts) and put in the freezer. Yes i freeze my jerky even when using pink salt. 1- if it was room temp in the pantry it wouldn't last a week in my house (we love jerky) 2-I don't always use pink salt 3- there's a freezer bin specifically for jerky, doesnt everyone have one!?!

Fwiw, i don't think this batch is salty enough. Next time 48 hour soak on this recipe. 

Yield- 3lbs,12oz

20240617_092926.thumb.jpg.4d76e6e3ae8b0ac9ae3b67f9afcc0b96.jpg

Edited by YvetteMT
Add yield (log)
  • Like 3